Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not for the faint of heart... Photos included.

Wonka's story can be found here: Found a Sick Pigeon - Please Help

I just checked on her a minute ago and I found a deformed whitish lump near her vent.

At first I thought it might have been a piece of chewed up bubblegum that she finally pooped out (which would explain her illness and funny droppings).

When I picked it up it was rubbery and too "solid" to be chewing gum. So I broke it open and there was definitely something pink and fleshy in there. :(

Is it an egg???

Her vent is a little swollen now and it looks like there might be another egg in there. What do I do!? It is almost 11PM here.

Here are the photos.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No she hasn't passed anything else that I can see. :(

I just changed the newspaper in her cage, so hopefully she'll pass some droppings soon so I can see if they're bloody.

I'm freaking out! :(

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
try giving her a big bowl of very warm water, put her in it and see if that loosens it up.
you can also put a drop of olive oil down her throat , and rub a little around her vent.
run your shower on hot and stream up the bathroom, and hold her bottom over the steam, making sure she doesn't get burned

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
need to get my patients cleaned and fed will check back in a little while, hopefully someone else will come along with more advice

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
oh don't freak out now....some weird things can come out of a pigeon and this one is weird but not the worst ive seen on here. I don't have time to google it, I have to leave here soon, but do some research. also you may want to treat her like an egg bound hen, just so the other comes out easier.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it even possible for this "egg" to have a partially developed chick in it? I've tried to google it, but I can't find anything of the sort.

She just passed some droppings and they look like the normal kind she usually does (lots of urine). However, this time it has some slimy urates in it as well. This is weird as I've yet to see any urates in her poop since the first few poops she did (which also contained blood).

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
How is she acting ? Is she acting ill ????

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i don't know either, i thought for sure someone would have came on and shed some light on that weird "egg"
do you still think she has another in there, did you try any of the things i recommended?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Had some weird things come out of my hens here and there.
This looks like what one of my hens, Whitney, laid a few years back just bigger.
It can be a one time thing or ongoing, see what happens. She will need a vet if that doesn't stop.
There is a gland in the uterus that forms the shell of the egg, if the gland is damaged or stops functioning for whatever reason they lay eggs without shell.
Don't worry there is no embryo in it. This is just the eggwhite and in the middle the yolk.
There is something wrong with her reproductive system and she might need antibiotics. One of the complications of this is egg peritonitis and that can be deadly.
Do you have any antibiotics on hand?
Also try some calcium supplement and natural sunlight first for a 20-30 min. a day. It might solve the problem.

Reti

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi chompie_puppy,

Well, with the blood droppings from before and now this malformed egg, tinged with blood, I would second what Reti is alluding to, there might some kind of infection be going on that could also be causing the loose droppings she is having.

How is her weight? At this point I think it would be prudent to run a course of antibiotics on her. I don't see Pidgey posting as often as he used to, but he always seemed very good when it came to suggesting meds. Perhaps he will see this thread and post.

I don't know what your situation is there, but a visit to the vet may be warranted at this point, if it would not be too much of a burden on you. I guess if you had to choose an antibiotic to go with, Baytril/Enrofloxacin (Ciprofloxacin human equivalent) would be a good choice, probably followed by the Trimethoprim/Sulfamethoxazole, also known as Septra, or Bactrim, I mentioned in your other thread.

It has been over a week now with what sounds like no improvement in her droppings and now this malformed egg. I try and tell people what I would do in their circumstance, and what I would do, if I where you, is to try her on a course of antibiotics at this point and see if she improves.

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm probably to late at reading this thread... but if this substance has not already been discarded, take "IT" to a vet for microscopic observation. IMO opinion, it may be foreign and be careful treating with antibiotics, unless they are warranted. Elimination is a good thing!!!! and with supportive care...healthy diet/acv h20/probiotics/ warmth etc....may be all that is necessary. You are observing her 24/7...and stated she is acting "normal". She May be now, that she has rid her herself of "this problem" Nature has her own way!!! Just keep doing what your doing...keeping a good eye on her. If she happens do present something like this again, place it in a sterile container, and keep refrigerated until you can get it to a lab. Be prepared to give some history about her.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't take her to a vet without them putting her to sleep. It is illegal in Australia to give a feral animal medical treatment or to rehabilitate them. :(

So I can either take her to the vet now so that they put her to sleep on the spot, or I can try some of the other things you guys have suggested...?

I don't want her to suffer, and if she is in pain and there isn't a way for me to help her without a vet consult, then maybe having her put to sleep is the best thing. :(

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
She might not be in pain. You can observe that from her behaviour. If she is eating, drinking and acting otherwise normal she would have minimal or no pain.
If a vet is out of the question then try to get hold of some Baytril or Cipro and Flagyl (metronidazole). Start her on that and see how it goes.

Reti

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took some photos of her lower abdomen. Does this look like peritonitis?

I also have the following medication on hand:

- Baycox
- Doxyvet
- Flagyl
- Coccivet

All of them are the liquid form.

What do I give her and what dosage?

Wonka weighed 274g first thing this morning and tonight she weighs 291g.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
she looks thin, that's the keel bone your seeing, i don't see an egg, but i'm no expert on that.
give us the strength of the meds mg/ml or mg/tablet and we can calculate a dosage.
are you allowed to have pigeons as pets? you can always say she is your pet pigeon at the vet

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, you are allowed to have pet pigeons in Australia, but I think they have to be banded. Actually, it is really difficult to get information on pet pigeons in Queensland (where I live). Any way I can get a band on Wonka?

Yes, I she is very thin. :(

I don't know the strength of the medicine as it was prescribed and dispensed to me by my avian vet for one of my budgies in September. It is just in one of those brown dispensing bottles with the dosage for my budgie on it.

I'll see if I can get some Vetafarm Doxyvet tomorrow morning from a pet shop. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts