Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... but sadly it did happen. And I need all of your prayers.
This afternoon I lost my pet pigeon WEE.
Wee is about 7 months and he can/could? not fly.
When I am in Spain (I live 50/50 in Belgium/Spain) he spends much time walking around freely in the patio, always under my supervision. For the rest of the time he has a big cage.
This afternoon around 7pm I put him one moment out for cleaning the cage, went 30 seconds inside looking for paper to put in the bottom... when I came back he was gone. I looked everywhere, searched until dark, woke up people asking them to let me inside their garden/finca... NOTHING.

I found WEE in the city when he was about 3 weeks old. He was very ill with PMV, twisted neck, his head always at the bottom of his cage, he was bold and could not stand. I handfed him for three months, believing strongly he would get better. He did. But he still has neurological symptoms; and the most he could do was clapping his wings a little... even if he flew away, he could not have landed properly and probably fell down like a stone somwhere.
The are no hawks or other sky predators here, but there are lots of feral cats...who I feed every day, but if they find WEE he does not have a chance to escape ... all he ever did was trying out his wings and he must have suddenly felt their real strenght...
I feel so guilty now that I was not more careful but I was convinced he would never be able to fly. He suffered so much as a squaeaker and I hate to think he willl die a horrible end and that I caused this...
In the picture you can see WEE very interested in Rocky's food... Wee was convinced that humans and dogs were his family, he never wanted to be with other pigeons and waited patiently for hours and hours to be let out whan I put him in the aviary in Lapalomatriste/Belgium. That is why I brought him back with me to Spain. Maybe I should have left him there, in a safer environnement, and he would have adapted finally.
Pray for me I find him tomorrow, that this nightmare may end. Thank you. Myriam

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
My prayers are for you. I REALLY hope you find WEE back!!!:( Good luck.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
My heart aches for you right now. I sincerely hope and pray he will be found safe.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Oh Myriam, I'm so sorry to hear this :( Wee looks like a sweet little pigeon. I'm keeping you in my prayers that you'll find him tomorrow. Maybe he got a little excited with the freedom and went off exploring, and he's just hidding somewhere.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your words of consolation and your prayers. I really hope that some entity above is listening to what we ask for poor Wee.
About him hiding... that is what makes me afraid. There are many abandoned fincas here with grass growing over 1.50m ... if he fell inside, he could never get out of that. He could also fall inside one of the many swimming pools and water reservoirs around here...I really hope he landed safely on a roof, then I still have a chance to find him.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Prayers sent. Hope you find your pet. Cats and unseen bird predators can get birds like that. But look farther. It may have tried to fly and can cover maybe 2 or 3 houses down. My baby 4 weeks old baby bird was able to go to my neighbor's yard.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened. I'm praying that you find him safe and sound very soon.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You and wee will be in my prayers tonight. Hope you find him. This could have happened to anybody. I hope you feel better soon.

fellow birdkeeper, Columba livia

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wee Is Back Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband found WEE just right now in the middle of an abandoned field.
He seems ok and very happy too find his food dish back, does not stop cooing!:)
Thank you, thank you for all your prayers and kind toughts!
I can breath again...;)
Myriam

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Oh, Myriam! I just found this thread and was reading through feeling totally distraught about Wee's absence. I am so very relieved that he is safe again!

Cynthia

·
Registered
123 Posts
We all have had this happen a time or two. Just know that there is a possibility that Wee flew the coup so to speak. He was wild and that never goes away. He may be flying high out there in the city. Happy to have had you take such great care of him. If there are no feathers around I would say he flew away and has retruned to the wild. Just as sad sometimes but, in the end thats what we really want for them. Prairs from Texas.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.