Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my ferel pigeon was starting to like me because it didn't run in terror when I fed and watered it this morning but apparently it was just being hawkish. After the feed I was cleaning the dog kennel and chased a hawk out of the bushes, it must have been there since yesterday cause the bird never came out to its roost last night.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The birds home is safe from things that might want to do it harm so no worries there. It went out to sit in its outside enclosure at dusk last night for about an hour but then went back inside for the night, so this makes two nights in a row. I'll have to do some more checking today to see if something else is scaring it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Ok I understand now, he has a locked coop but can come out of a roosting area to an outside perch that is within the coop. I know exactly what you mean and what he is doing, my hens did the same and locked themselves down for 14 days in a row when the hen cooper was her for that long DAILY. They refused to enter the flight deck and stayed tight to the back wall of the inside of the coop. I felt bad for them but was glad they were that smart to stay away. Im sure with time your guy will come to grow to like you, they cant help it especially if you talk to him and bob your head when you do, they tame down so fast with that action.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
May be talking to him help him get comfortable. If you try to make mild pleasant sounds and call him when you feed him,he will start to recognise your voice and will start to like you slowly. He will feel comfortable and will respond by coming out to your voice,CableNewsGuy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I talk to it every day and play pigeon sounds for it but neither seem to hold its interest. The bird did try and pull a runner on me today when I had the door open for its feed but with only one working wing it just sort of helicoptered to the garage floor. In the spring I'm gonna try and find a pigeon person who might want to adopt the bird so it can be around some of its own.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Give him time! Phoebe did nothing but wing slap and bite me at first. Then she started cooing and biting a soft sisal toy tug of war style with me that I stuck through the cage bars for her to bite instead of me. Soon she was head bobbing but it was months before she would sit on our shoulders. Same with Fiona. Have had her a few weeks. She is starting to vocalize to me and head bobs but still tries to bite me. Give your bird a little more time and he may be your bud very soon.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Yes, giving him time will gradually help him open up. Socalise with him by spending as much time as you can. Sure he'll be happy if you could adpot another bird to give him company or send him to a better home if you wanna give him away. He won't be of much use to the one who races but he may be adpoted by someone who keeps pigeons as pets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.