Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a injured pigeon that was bleeding on its left wing. with the band:

AU 2022 Jedds 42134

It is also pooping greenish yellow poop and a little watery, so I am assuming it is sick.

and it also had a yellow zip tie, on the other leg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you brought him in to care for him, or is he still on the loose?
Oh yea sorry, I have him in a secure cage outside separated from my other pigeon with food and water.
Every time he moves his wing it bleeds a little, and I think he is pecking his wound because his black beak has a little blood.
But he looks fine, he doesn't ruffle his feathers, and he looks alert.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Any bone damage or just flesh? To stop the bleeding, sprinkle corn starch, flour, turmeric, or ground cayenne pepper on the source of the bleed until it stops. Then cover the wound with a paste of turmeric (it's naturally antibacterial) and water.

Could you post a picture of the bird's wound, and one of the droppings?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any bone damage or just flesh? To stop the bleeding, sprinkle corn starch, flour, turmeric, or ground cayenne pepper on the source of the bleed until it stops. Then cover the wound with a paste of turmeric (it's naturally antibacterial) and water.

Could you post a picture of the bird's wound, and one of the droppings?
Here is the wound sorry if it is a bad photo I had to take it by my self
Bedrock Wood Bird Landscape Outcrop

This is one of the droppings:

Wood Trunk Twig Road surface Plant

Also I don't know if this is the right way to post images on this site, and I don't know if there are any rules against posting graphic images.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Ouch! I can't tell from the photo whether he is missing any tissue, or if the flesh is torn, or punctured. Looks like the wound is between the elbow and the wrist. There are two bones (radius and ulna) there running the same direction, you might be able to determine whether either is broken by running your fingertips along them from the outside of the wing. If the bleeding has stopped, I'd bathe him (don't get water in his nares / nostrils in the upper beak) in room-temperature water with boric acid (1 teaspoon per quart, it's antiseptic) then apply turmeric paste to cover the wound.

The droppings definitely look a bit messed-up, but the bird is under stress at the moment. He definitely had been eating recently, and drinking fluids. Add some lemon juice (a teaspoon or so per cup, more would be ok if he doesn't refuse to drink the water because of it ) to his drinking water for electrolytes and to help replenish his blood supply.

Then let him rest with food and water available.

It's still summer and the owner might be out on vacation or perhaps an on-site worker (construction projects or something) so the lack of a quick return call might not be indicative of the owner's desire to have the bird back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch! I can't tell from the photo whether he is missing any tissue, or if the flesh is torn, or punctured. Looks like the wound is between the elbow and the wrist. There are two bones (radius and ulna) there running the same direction, you might be able to determine whether either is broken by running your fingertips along them from the outside of the wing. If the bleeding has stopped, I'd bathe him in water with boric acid (1 teaspoon per quart, it's antiseptic) then apply turmeric paste to cover the wound.

The droppings definitely look a bit messed-up, but the bird is under stress at the moment. He definitely had been eating recently, and drinking fluids. Add some lemon juice (a teaspoon or so per cup, more would be ok if he doesn't refuse to drink the water because of it ) to his drinking water for electrolytes and to help replenish his blood supply.

Then let him rest with food and water available.

It's still summer and the owner might be out on vacation or perhaps an on-site worker (construction projects or something) so the lack of a quick return call might not be indicative of the owner's desire to have the bird back.
Thanks for helping me, do you think anything like treating the wound or dousing room temperature water on the bird's wound could put the bird in shock? Could I use something like hydrogen peroxide or alcohol?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
No, but give him some electrolytes first (lemon juice in water is a great source.) Alcohol burns like hell in open wounds, peroxide will not only kill bacteria but also the bird's own cells. Turmeric is anti-bacterial and actually soothes rather than stings. If you ever cut yourself shaving, just dab a fingertip of turmeric powder on the cut and the stinging stops, the wound heals quick too. The only problem is remembering to wash the yellow splotch from your face before going outside. :) Turmeric is usually sold as a spice in grocery stores.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, but give him some electrolytes first (lemon juice in water is a great source.) Alcohol burns like hell in open wounds, peroxide will not only kill bacteria but also the bird's own cells. Turmeric is anti-bacterial and actually soothes rather than stings. If you ever cut yourself shaving, just dab a fingertip of turmeric powder on the cut and the stinging stops, the wound heals quick too. The only problem is remembering to wash the yellow splotch from your face before going outside. :) Turmeric is usually sold as a spice in grocery stores.

Ok I will find turmeric and apply it to the wound.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
The owner will probably not want him back. It's more important now to make sure he is eating and drinking. If not, you can feed him defrosted green peas. Defrost in warm water till soft. Put him on your lap. Open his beak and put a pea deep inside over the tongue. Aim for 30 peas, when that gets digested you can feed more.

Was there any smell to the wound? He might need oral antibiotics as well.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Ok I applied turmeric to the wound, should I have put more water in it or is this fine?
It does look a bit thick, but that won't harm the bird. How is he after all the attention and interaction? Eating and drinking well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The owner will probably not want him back. It's more important now to make sure he is eating and drinking. If not, you can feed him defrosted green peas. Defrost in warm water till soft. Put him on your lap. Open his beak and put a pea deep inside over the tongue. Aim for 30 peas, when that gets digested you can feed more.

Was there any smell to the wound? He might need oral antibiotics as well.
Sorry for the late response, I didn't notice any smell around the wound. He is drinking water and eating the seeds I feed my pigeon. What do you mean by oral antibiotics? I have a place called Magnolia bird farm where they sell a lot of bird stuff, and also Jedds where they do the same.

Product Shelf Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts