Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys hope ull doing ok .i was just wondering what would it be the best mix of feed to get when a pair is breeding . not too long ago i got a mix from a local store here in houston i think that the guy call it maintance . at first the birds where ok with it but now it looks like they only like some of the seeds and start to kick everything out . im not familiar with some of the biger bags of feed available so any advice would be welcome .

·
Registered
393 Posts
guys hope ull doing ok .i was just wondering what would it be the best mix of feed to get when a pair is breeding . not too long ago i got a mix from a local store here in houston i think that the guy call it maintance . at first the birds where ok with it but now it looks like they only like some of the seeds and start to kick everything out . im not familiar with some of the biger bags of feed available so any advice would be welcome .
Hi.
You did'nt mention wether your birds are prisoners or free flying?
Maintenance is just as they call it, maintenance.
When them birds are pumping youngsters, they literally give all ther nutriant's to ther youngsters. I personaly make sure that there is ample fat, protein and carbs...Almost excessive, but if your birds are in shape they will maintain ther vigor.See if you can get a breeders mix, and see the differance between the two.
Heritage Acres put out a pellet, that I like a lot. Not a feed per se. But very complimental to breeding. Good fortune.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would give atleast 16% protein feed, plenty of crushed oystershell for calcium, the pellet is a good idea, put the feed in the nest box with them, you can put the pellet feed in a seperate crock as they may just toss it aside if they are not use to it, but when feeding young they may eat some to feed to the babies. vitamin suppliment with minerals in the water a few time a week, also chopped curly kale.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
soirit how about crushed egg shells??????
That is alot of trouble, you would have to clean and dry and crush eggs everday....not me! they need the calcium in front of them at all times, the crushed oystershell is a great source and easy to give in a crock for them....calcium is important as grains are typically defecient in calcium, they will need a good supply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts