Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be racing in 2013 for my first time and joining a club. I have a group of 20 young birds which I am training now. They have done well out to 40 miles and I will continue for more distance. I am thinking these will be my Old birds for next season. I plan on selecting the best YB and breeding them to older hens and older cocks for my YB for 2013. Is this the best way to do it or should I breed the older hens and cocks together? Just starting need ideas.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You will have to train these with other flyers so they can learn how and when to break from the flock. You will also need alot of single tosses as well. IMO If this is not done you will probably lose them when you start racing them. You reall won't know what your best is until you race them so I would breed out of all the first of the year and race the youngsters from all to see just what you have. This is just my opinion

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You should train these birds out to at least 100 air miles from your loft,a couple of times...And or train them on a Racing Pigeon Truck,with other peoples birds,if possible....In big metro areas,as per New Jersey,Flordia etc,there are people that truck pigeons down the road for everyone who wants to train their pigeons,but can`t because or Work,or no time available in the morning to do so themselves....You don`t have your State listed on the right side of the posting,like many of us have,so we don`t know WHERE you live to give you more/better info.....You have United States....Put your State there instead of USA.....That will help us help you....Alamo

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alamo I have a friend that has been training 170 YB. I will release my birds with his when I think they are ready. Most of my birds do not have AU bands and I want to race them next year as old birds. I know you band them the first week since I missed that is it possible to buy AU bands that I can put on my birds now to race next year? Or can you race old birds without AU bands?

·
Registered
390 Posts
RogerD: Your birds without bands are not qualified to race in competition as per ARPU rules. There is no way that I know of to get an AU band on a bird other than as a baby.
In some cases a club will allow you to fly unbanded birds in races, but they normally do not qualify for placement on the race sheet an certainly do not qualify in any way toward AU requirements.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How about you just train these through the normal routine and in a month or two see what's left. Take those to the race distances a few times and select you're better ones and try to hatch you some older young birds that you can band and start smaller with next year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts