Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
homemade drinking station

Hi :)

Do we have plans/blueprints or ideas on pigeon drinkers and feeders which can be made at home ?
for a homemade drinking station/someone had suggested a bleach jug with a 4in.hole in the side,,it works super,,thank you or ever suggested it ,,very hygenic,no poops get into the water,,changed it daily anyway,,but it is very smart idea....sincerely james waller:D

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I currently use a modified plastic candy jar, window type feeder and a feeder put together at home as below. I am thinking of improving from these but there aren't any shops selling feeders/drinkers as listed in the Foys or Siegel's. Thats why I was looking for new plans :)

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
I currently use a modified plastic candy jar, window type feeder and a feeder put together at home as below. I am thinking of improving from these but there aren't any shops selling feeders/drinkers as listed in the Foys or Siegel's. Thats why I was looking for new plans :)
Your Feeder looks great... I would also try my hands on it....

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Your Feeder looks great... I would also try my hands on it....
I used the base of a hardwood carton along with 1" x 0.75" wooden reepers for the body and 0.5" x 0.5" reepers for the vertical separators. I am planning to make a closed type feeder using plywood which can also prevent perching, but no plans getting together as of now :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I use empty gallon milk jugs, clean them, cut a hole in the side of it, put water in it voila!
you can use them for a few weeks and throw them out and start with new ones. no having to scrub the drinker.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here's a feeder that I built with one 1X6X8, and two 5/16 dowels and a small hinge. It cost about eight dollars to make. The birds love it, and they line up like cattle at feeding time. The lid lifts up easily to put food in, but virtually impossible to poop in it. It was a fun project and took about an hour. It's 27 inches long and 5 1/2 inches wide. The dowels are spaced 2 1/4 inches apart. I'm thrilled with it and so are the birds. Randy :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a very neat and excellent piece of work, I had downloaded this plan from a PT thread earlier but I am not sure how to make that dowels. I only have a 1/2" axoblade to cut the boards :( Does your pigeons perch on top of it. I have a couple of "tough thugs" they wont allow anyone to eat once they perch on top. Will jump down and pick a fight then perch back again (but most of the time its the tough thug who gets the maximum blows :) )

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sreeshs, yes my birds perch on the feeder occasionally. The feeder is in a kit loft (rollers) and the birds eat once a day. When the food is poured in all you see are tails sticking out. I guess feeding this way there is no time for bullies. I wish I could help by shipping you some stuff, but you're a long ways away!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sreeshs, yes my birds perch on the feeder occasionally. The feeder is in a kit loft (rollers) and the birds eat once a day. When the food is poured in all you see are tails sticking out. I guess feeding this way there is no time for bullies. I wish I could help by shipping you some stuff, but you're a long ways away!
Thanks buddy :) Did you make the dowels or was it purchased ? I think instead of the vertical dowels I can use the 1/2" x 1/2" wooden reeper which is used as vertical separators in my feeder.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sreesh, I think your idea is perfect, just use the 1/2 material you have there. Yes the dowels were bought. Here in the States a 5/16 dowel goes for .79 cents. That's under one US dollar. They are 3 ft. in length. I'm sure you'll figure something out. Like someone said earlier, all you need is a top on your existing feeder and it will be basically the same feeder.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got sometime to put some pieces together for a decent feeder. I don't think I can make a durable drinker my self which can get filled as the pigeons drink, so I have decided to purchase one

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was actually easier than I thought and I went for a removable top on one side to the flip open type. All ideas for this feeder have been gathered from Pigeon-Talk itself :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts