Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was given seven pairs of Egyptian swifts I have two solid blacks but the others are speckled and grizzled all different colors, I have not seen this variety before and I wondered if anyone could help me identify them and variety of swifts. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
ID Swifts

You can see that they are a cross of the Safi, Asfar and maybe the Ottati. The Safi is the only breed of Gohzar's (Egyptian Swifts) that has the Grizzle factor. The head and beaks looks like birds from the Asfar breed. I am just guessing that the Blacks are from the Ottati breed. Safi's come in a lot of different colors and the Black may of came from there.
The above doesn't mean that these aren't nice looking birds. It also doesn't mean that they can't fly well. It only means that they are crosses. The most common crosses you will see are crosses of the Safi, Ottati, Asfar/Rehani, Bolks, Mesawed and the Azrak Katifa (Blue Velvet). Each of these breeds look different, have their own respective colors and different eye colors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
x-breeds

You are asking if these birds will breed true. If you look at your last picture you will see that you have at least two different head types. They at not breeding true now.
The National Pigeon Assn.(NPA) has two Standards for Swifts.
One Show Standard is for the American Egyptian Swifts. This Standard covers all the crosses of most of the Gohzar's. One Standard to represent 12 or so different breeds. This is a Standard of mixed breeds. The birds are big fluffly flightless Show Birds. Most birds I have seen don't even look like the American Standard and don't breed true.
The second Standard is for the American Syrian Swifts. This standard covers all the crosses of most of the Gohzar's. One Standard to represent 12 or so different breeds. This is a standard of mixed breeds. If I recall right the Standard calls for a slight dewlap on the birds. So a cross to a Dewlap pigeon was most likey involved. They also come in different sizes and shapes.
You are asking if you can show them. Show them as what? They don't look like either of the American made Standards and they don't look like anything in the Egyptian Gohzar Standard from Egypt.
My above statements were to educate and not to condemn anybody.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm no expert, but when I looked at some of the pictures I thought I could see some Homer in their heads and station and leg structure. It made me wonder if someone was curious about racing something like a swift but wanted to improve the homing ability. Swifts certainly do fly different than other pigeons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts