Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two birmingham rollers, but when i let them out they fly strait on my house roof and my neibours, its a bit annoying, i was thinkng if i got more than two pigeons would they fly more, i was thinking to get one more at the moment, and mayby get some more in the future. what do u think i should do.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I think it would be SAFER for them to fly with a whole flock.

Maybe you are feeding them too much , or are you feeding them before you let them out?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess it would be suitable for about 5 pigeos, i have 1 photo of 1 half of the loft if you look at it??

·
Registered
130 Posts
You shouldnt feed them before you let them out. I have a flock of different breeds of pigeons and i occasionally let them all fly together. But i first let my two Birmingham Rollers out and they fly for about 25 minutes or so. I think you should get two more. And where are the pictures??

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had to click on the images up there on the header to see the loft (Nice, from what I could see.)
Get your birds used to flying hungry and feed them when they return. You have to work hard on breaking thehabit of them going to the roof. I think a few more birds might help.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
It is possible that adding more birds can encourage those roof sitters to fly, but you need to figure out first why those two are not flying at all. Are they just being settled? If so, then it is probably normal because they are trying to memorize your area first before taking off. If not, then check your feeding schedule and make sure they are healthy and not too young. In my case when I release my 4 weeks old baby homers, they just fly to the loft roof and house roof. They literally can't fly yet. I have to wait 2 more weeks for that. Obviously given that I have hawk scenario I usually keep my baby birds now for 6 weeks before releasing, but those are scarier as well. They can just take off and be gone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think i am feeding my birds right, and i always feed them after theyve been out umm about 3 tablespoons for the two, and yet they still do it :(, i have tried throwing a tennis ball at the pigeons ,(but not hiting them) as i saw it in a book, this pigeon keeper who keeps about 50 rollers told me to reliese the birds once every 3 days,

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Throwing something in them ,which I have done, will cause them to either fear you or would go somewhere else other than your loft or house roof. Some roller people waves a flag to keep birds flying.

I am glad you mentioned about your feeding quantity and if I read right you are overfeeding them! Rollers are like smaller variety so you are supposed to start with 1 tablespoon per bird! Some roller people, for example, feeds one cup (8 ounces) per 10 bird. Just add more if you believe your birds are not getting enough. So start with 1 tablespoon then add more if they perform more or if it is cold.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this guy told me to relise them once every four days so they would want to fly more, soes this help in your opinion , how often should i relise them

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Once ever four days, will get them so out of shape they will not fly good at all.
IF feeding is right, birds are healthy, there is a large enough group to encourage the "flocking instinct" you should be able to fly them every day, weather permitting. Dave

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I think you are supposed to fly them everyday to develop their muscles. Once they worked so hard flying then you can give them rest the next day.

I understand the logic of the guy that told you that. I think what he is trying to imply to you is that your birds need to acquire energy by eating and not doing anything (flying) so he/she wants you to fly them once every four days. It is also a psychological in nature by saying that birds cooped out want to fly after being kept inside. What the guy didn't tell you is what Dave said. They will be out of shape when you that. When I lock down my birds for a week, it takes them perhaps close to 2 weeks before they get back to their previous performance. And these are homers/mix homers!

You may also notice that if you keep your birds inside often, they get fat! They are even more vulnerable to hawks when fat and not in shape.

I'll say feed them 1 tablespoon for now and try to fly them everyday or every other day unless they are actually babies then you probably need to feed them more (1.4-1.5 ounces) and just wait for them to fly. Babies like to observe/memorize their surroundings before taking off and they should be! If they don't and takes off right away, then they can get lost.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts