Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am just geting started with homing pigeons and was wondering if i wanted to enter next years snowbird classic futurity do i have to be a well know handler breeder racer or trainer?If anyone can help me with the info I would greatly apprecaite it.also if anyone has raced in any futurity can you share your experience so i would know what to expect? Thank you

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Nope, You don't have to know anyone. For the FVC Snowbird there are certain lofts that fill up real quick. If you want one of the top handlers you should be calling NOW or more like a month ago to grab a perch. You just need to be ready to dish out some serious money, especially if you're new and haven't payed that kind of money for birds yet. If I were you, I'd stay away from those kinds of things before you know which are your good birds and which are your culls. Trust me, winning the Snowbird is not a walk in the park. Rusty won it this year, and I'll tell You to beat him next year you're going to need one hell of a pigeon. I've never entered a futurity before, because Im too damn cheap. But, I did put in a bird into the CSRPO junior convention race (haha because it was free!) and Against 60 other pigeons shipped mine was 5th in the clock and e1. So it is exciting when you get that bird on the drop, but when you lose it its a bummer. And The snow bird is now walk in the park. Its just marginally better than the Triple Crown. If I were you, I'd stick to breeding a nice young bird team and taking a few races with that. Prove to yourself that your birds can win races, and then maybe invest a couple hundred bucks in a bird.

Oh, When you do send a bird out, Remember: If your bird(s) is/are there on race night, You'll be pooling and getting in the calcutta. My point, If your bird isn't there, it'll suck but be happy you're not there putting another 500 or 1000 bucks on that bird.
http://fvcsnowbird.com/

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
A member of our club Scott McCallister won it in 2001. He has deep pockets and can enter such a race. If you have a couple of thousand dollars and a few birds you want to gamble on, go for it. If it were me I think I would enter a one loft race and take the handler issue out of it. I think much of the snowbird depends on the handler of the bird. There are a half a dozen that could put you in the winners circle.

I have a granddaughter of his winner in my loft, but I do not know whether I would at this time enter a bird in the race. I would have to study the handlers very well and have a bit more confidence in my birds.

Randy

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
This is my 2 cents worth of advice...NO NEW Racing Pigeon flter should send out YB`s to one loft races etc....UNTILL... you know what you have in your stock loft...Which are the best 3 pairs of breeders you have ??? Which pair will give you the best chance for a special YB that could beat ALL the PRO`s that send birds to that race ?? Do you KNOW right now which pair that can breed a bird that could beat MIKE GANUS in the race ??
It takes at least 2 years of flying the YB`s you raise for yourself,to see where your best YB`s are coming from...It the birds will fly GOOD for you,and you are a ROOKIE,then they should hold their own when someone with alot of KNOWLEDGE,is training them...I don`t care if you are RICH or not...It makes alot of sence for you to LEARN this sport FIRST...And the more you learn about your birds,the more you can make an intelligent decision on what birds to SEND out to races...If I was an All-American flyer,and you,as a ROOKIE flyer, send me birds from UN-PROVEN breeders,I would be upset...The reason is,you want me to spend HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS,or maybe THOUSANDS,to train,medicate etc worthless pigeons that should not be sent because of inferior breeding...You money will be better spent if you wait 2 or 3 years before you send out YB`s to any of the TOP one loft races...Fly the birds in the regular races,and some of the Special $$ races in your club/combine...Fly & learn all you can about YOUR birds..You will be alot happier in the long run....And after a couple of years or so,you will be ready to beat the pants off of some of the big guys in the races !!...And I hope you do !!!..........Good Luck !!!.............Alamo

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Maybe someone should write an article on how start racing pigeon as a rookie?

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Go For It !!

Hello I am just geting started with homing pigeons and was wondering if i wanted to enter next years snowbird classic futurity do i have to be a well know handler breeder racer or trainer?If anyone can help me with the info I would greatly apprecaite it.also if anyone has raced in any futurity can you share your experience so i would know what to expect? Thank you
Hello highflyeramatur,

I would like to answer your question directly. I know very little about the Snow Bird Classic outside of their RPD slick magazine ads. And truth be told, after entering two different Futurity Races, I can say I have had my fill, and don't want anything more to do with them. The key is to be in the right loft on race day, as the loft location and the handler has more to do with the winner, then the breeding of the pigeon. That's my two cents, and I'm sticking with it.

Now, there are some valid points made with some of the posts in this thread. Your personal circumstances will determine what the best course of action is for you, and I don't know what they are. Like many new guys, you may very well have a collection of birds from here and there. Maybe you bought some, or were gifted birds from a local club. Perhaps you bought kits, or young birds as "breeders".....many new guys end up with a hodge podge of birds with various degrees of racing talent. You may have some pretty decent birds in the bunch, and then again, you could have some other guys "culls". All of the above could be true, or some of it, you could have spent nothing, or many tens of thousands of dollars. Regardless of what you spent, or how you acquired them, the only way to really know what you got, is to race them.

I don't even know what your circumstances are with local racing, do you have a club you can fly with ? If so, your loft, your location, your training and management, and your competition will have more of an impact on your racing results, then say the actual racing talent of your birds. Everyone knows at least a few guys, where regardless of what YB's may be placed into that loft, no winners will ever come out of it. I have seen lofts, which were so bad, that it would be a miracle, if a bird even survived a YB season, due to the horrible loft conditions.

In your case, the opposite could be true, you may have built the perfect loft with just perfect air flow and conditions. You are a "Natural" in management and training and you do everything perfect. While your club members are doing everything wrong, and no matter what kind of birds you may have, on race day, your birds will be at the top of the race report.

Somewhere in between, is most likely where you and your loft may fall. That is, if you even have a local club to race with, which is not always the case. But at any rate, one day you think to yourself....how good are my birds really ?

In my opinion, this is the beauty of the One Loft Race ! Instead of comparing your loft, location, training, management skill, etc. with maybe a dozen or so local guys, why not compare your birds with hundreds of birds from many dozens of some of the best breeders in the country ?!

In very short order, you could send all of the YB's that you produce to various One Loft Races around the country. And in one season, you would very quickly determine, what pairs are producing your "best" birds. That is the upside, and if one was to do that, you would be light years ahead in your breeding program, then your local guys who depend on local racing and competition to determine the talent of their racing stock. Because, as I said before, I am convinced that local racing, as fun as it is...is more a competition of loft, location, training and management skill, then it is of your breeding skill.

The downside of going the "Professional" route, is money. And this is where your personal circumstances will determine if this is an option which is available or right for you. And there is a good One Loft Race event right in your home state, which gives you an added advantage, is that you can attend the final race on race day, and enjoy the fun and excitement of the event. See:

http://flamingoic.com/

This is just one of many options, some are more affordable, some are more expensive. I like the trend towards a series of races, which measures the bird's consistency over various distances. So in conclusion, if you have the means to do so, don't over look the opportunity to "test" your birds along side some of the best in the country. :)

Of course, if you do go this route, and win....your accountant will inform you of what the status means of being "Professional" and you might have to change your name to "HighFlyerTheProfessional" !! :eek:

:p

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
RodSD,there are probally hundreds of books on the market on how to fly racing pigeons..Reading a couple of them would be a big benefit to any new racing pigeon flyer...Take it from me,my uncle,my dad,and allmost all of my friends when we were young had pigeons...My dad had racing pigeons for many many years...When I got my first birds here in WVa in 1984,I was a ROOKIE !! Beleive me,even with all my background having pigeons,hanging out alot on my dad`s ROOFTOP loft in NYC etc,I was a ROOKIE...
I didn`t know didly squat about getting racing pigeons in condition to race..I fed them to much..I either trained to hard,or not enough...I didn`t medicate when I should have...I was a lousy loft mgr....I had to LEARN all about it...Books helped alot..Phone calls to to NYC were common place every day for help from the expert...The best advice my dad gave me was,you have to learn the sport on your own..I can`t explain what a BIRD IN CONDITION feels like in the hands..You have to feel your birds,and REMEMBER what the 1st couple of birds home from the race felth like in your hands..You have to teach yourself this...It probally is the most important,and probally the hardest thing to learn..You have to know who`s coming home first from the race...When you are flying for POINTS,then you know who to put your hard earned $$$ on....It only comes from flying the birds,and learning on the job...Books help !!! But you have to get your feet wet so to speak....Alamo

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your insite and tips Now my question is the following i dont have pedegrees for my breeders but i do know they have raced in local clubs but what if their not champion bloodlines like jasens or hofkens for example would that make them obsolete and unexeptable to race? How did the pros start im sure some of them might have been poor when they started and might not have had thousands to spend on their birds before they became such well known breeders of champions .am i wrong?Isnt i mean im sure it helps to breed from champion bloodlines but what i've learned from this forum and other members this doesnt neccarily garntee that all thier babies will be champions. Will my birds be turned away cause i dont have thier pedigree? And how can i aquire thier pedigree and if i cant find it can i make them one after they start winning races? Im sorry if i sound stupid but im learning from you all.thanks again

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am in the same boat as you I don't have a single pedigree for any of my birds they where all given to me by my two mentors and they don't keep pedigrees. I doubt they will turn you away if you give them them the money to enter the race. The only thing is if your birds do good you won't have a pedigree to show.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I am in the same boat as you I don't have a single pedigree for any of my birds they where all given to me by my two mentors and they don't keep pedigrees. I doubt they will turn you away if you give them them the money to enter the race. The only thing is if your birds do good you won't have a pedigree to show.
Nobody says you have to provide a great pedigree to enter these races. If you do well you can claim the bird all as your own! Perhaps this scenario is even better. I say if you have the money and the desire, go for it. Like Warren said, it is probably the quickest way to get a true read on the quality of your birds.

Dan

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Nobody says you have to provide a great pedigree to enter these races. If you do well you can claim the bird all as your own! Perhaps this scenario is even better. I say if you have the money and the desire, go for it. Like Warren said, it is probably the quickest way to get a true read on the quality of your birds.

Dan
When we entered our first OOA race, I packed up the birds, printed pedigrees and taped them inside the box.......I was SO proud to be sending my first birds............however, AFTER I did this, I was told to NEVER send pedigrees with birds when entering in the race. If they like what they see on the ped, and like the bird, your bird just might "get lost".........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't plan on entering any one loft races until I see which birds produce the the better birds for me at a club and combine level then I will enter some local one loft races and go from there. But I am probably going to enter my clubs YB auction race this year.

·
Registered
160 Posts
IF you can afford to enter one loft races, pick one that has a better probability of getting your bird to the final race.

This is the quickest way to see how your birds rank against the competition.

Other than that, pick a few club auction/bond/band races. These should be fairly inexpensive ($25 - $50) and should give you an opportunity to win.

If you are needing suggestions, may I recommend my local club money races. For 2008 YB, we paid out about $20,000. And I also extend the invitation to all the flyers on here to THE BEST BAND/BOND race in the country. I will also guarantee you that your bird will be placed in a top loft in the area.

The format for 2008 was $20 for the band, and another $20 when the bird went to the 300 mile race.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
IF you can afford to enter one loft races, pick one that has a better probability of getting your bird to the final race.

This is the quickest way to see how your birds rank against the competition.

Other than that, pick a few club auction/bond/band races. These should be fairly inexpensive ($25 - $50) and should give you an opportunity to win.

If you are needing suggestions, may I recommend my local club money races. For 2008 YB, we paid out about $20,000. And I also extend the invitation to all the flyers on here to THE BEST BAND/BOND race in the country. I will also guarantee you that your bird will be placed in a top loft in the area.

The format for 2008 was $20 for the band, and another $20 when the bird went to the 300 mile race.
I would like to know more about this Band/bond race. I would also like to see last years result sheet and payout for this race.

Ace

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the tips and encouragement I will take your advice and enter them them in local races and see what they can do.Btw me being an amature to racing how old do the Yb teams have to be Before i can race them?
I should have my first set of babies in 2 days the eggs already cracking. And i have two more babies comin a couple days after them

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im gona stay away from futurities for my first year til im sure i got a winning team. I mean i wouldnt wnat to spend 3k on perches for 6 birds that im not sure will make it back.Besides that way the atticipation will build if i just enter them in local races and they give me good results and good positions
that way at least my name will get arround.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
As long as your birds are banded with 09 bands, they can be raced in the 09 YB season. Different people have different opinions on how old a young bird should be before racing. I've already got my first two babies in the nest. Some people hold off until spring. Having older birds like you'll end up with is fine so don't worry about that part :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would like to know more about this Band/bond race. I would also like to see last years result sheet and payout for this race.

Ace
2008 we had two money races
This year there will be one race. I will post a "Rules and Regulations" once it is available. The format is
$30 for the band and $30 due when the bird goes to the race (subject to club approval next Tuesday).
The plan is initially for 500 bands which I have a 99% confidence level that they will all be sold.

Race 1:
http://www.racingpigeonmall.com/cgi...pagenum=1&cgifunction=Search&cgifunction=form

Race 2:
http://www.racingpigeonmall.com/cgi...pagenum=1&cgifunction=Search&cgifunction=form

1 - 18 of 18 Posts