Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I am Myra from India.I rescued 2 feral pigeons 4 years back.I named them Casper & Twitter. Casper was around 7 days old and the other one around 12 days. I fed them ,took good care of them and loved too. Casper was very very attached to me initially. Then after six months the two of them started mating . Slowly and gradually their attachment for me diminished. They stopped coming to me and whenever I went near them them would become angry and flap their wings. Back then I was living in a four bedroom apartment and since I had a small bright bedroom empty I let them be there (as I loved them too much and could not set them free in the open because I was afraid of predators and other factors like availability of food etc.)

Presently I have shifted to another city where I am living in a two bedroom apartment and thus cannot spare one room for the birds as they poop around the place. I keep them in a loft (The size of the loft is 14inches by 14 inches) but they get too agitated so I have to free them to fly around the room after a few hours. And once they are outside the loft it's very difficult to put them back inside. Then they start laying eggs here and there. Honestly I feel very guilty to throw their eggs and put the fake ones. Somehow keeping them like this is not giving me a good feeling. Now a days I open the windows so that they can go on their own but they never go. Because of this emotional turmoil and space crunch I am not able to concentrate on anything and it's affecting me adversely.

As we cannot use that room we have to cramp up all our stuff in one bedroom and hall which is becoming very inconvenient especially because I and my husband both are working from home due to the pandemic.

The bird's still don't come to me and have never bonded with me much. I am only there to provide them food and clean their poop :( I spoke to a few breeders to adopt them but no one is ready as they are feral and cannot be tamed.
I want your expert advice in this situation as I am not being able to decide what is the right thing to do

1. Can I free them outside and keep food in the balcony?That way they will get their food and also live their life . lay eggs and have babies. Both of them are healthy and strong. So is it safe to do so ? Will they adapt to the environment ? There are a lots of feral pigeons in the area where I live so may be they will make some friends too .
or
Should I keep them in the loft in one corner of the room and let them get accustomed to live like that . Is it ok to keep pigeons in loft for long hours?
Please help me as I have to think of a solution.its becoming very difficult for us to live like this .
If you have any other suggestions too then please let me know.
Regards!
Myra

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
So you have a balcony? Why don't you close up the balcony and rather put them in there? After a month or so, you can open up and let them free fly. I'm sure they will return for feeding and might start nesting there as well. Then they will have the best of both worlds.

No human can replace the bond between two pigeons. Rather be glad they formed a couple. It will be bad to keep two healthy pigeons closed up for the rest of their lives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you have a balcony? Why don't you close up the balcony and rather put them in there? After a month or so, you can open up and let them free fly. I'm sure they will return for feeding and might start nesting there as well. Then they will have the best of both worlds.

No human can replace the bond between two pigeons. Rather be glad they formed a couple. It will be bad to keep two healthy pigeons closed up for the rest of their lives.
Hi!
Thanks for your response. Ya I'm also glad they got each other .
Yes I have a balcony and I want to do something like this too. My only concern is what if they are lost once I free them and cannot come back for food and water. I am the one who has been feeding them for the past 4 years and they are habituated this way. Is it ok to leave them free after these many years? Will they come back home for food ? Actually I have very little knowledge about pigeons.
Thanks!
Myra

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
If you keep them inside the balcony for a month or so, they will become familiar with the area. Most of my releases return for food. They have a homing instinct. There's always a chance they will get taken by a predator, but that is nature unfortunately and a risk you will need to take. How big is your balcony? Otherwise you can turn this into a permanent aviary for them if you don't want to release them. At least then they will be outside your home. Also make sure no predators (even rats) can get inside. You can also put a high perch for them in the one corner for sleeping.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I cannot advise whether to let them go out or not. I never experienced that.

In case you release them one day, maybe you could get them used to a big object as a "sign" on your balcony near the food (like a big colored plastic flower, a toy, or whatever), get the pigeons associate it with the food area and recognize it from far away?
Maybe this sounds silly but I plan to do that for my feral friend I feed at my window when the facelift begins. I will put the plastic sunflower on a basket I plan to attach outside the scaffolding and protective net (at night when there is nobody, and feed him through a hole in the net).

The idea came to me while reading a very interesting book about bumblebees. There was - on one floor of a building - a laboratory who was studying bees and the bees often went back through the wrong windows, causing trouble in the other offices! The researchers had the idea to put a huge road sign for the bumblebees at the window so the bees found their way back much easier!

It worked with the bees, so why not with pigeons?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts