Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a member of a bird rescue group. We usually deal with psittacines, so this is a bit foreign for me, but-

I live in an apartment complex in northern CA. I have a pigeon nesting in the roof above my garage. Well, actually the roof is above the 3rd story apartment, far above my garage on the first story. She has been there since at least 8/21 when I returned from vacation, probably a week or 2 before that.
Today, I recieved correspondence from the managers of the complex that they hired a company to clean the rooftops and gutters and to install "bird spikes." I can't see into the nest and I don't know if there are babies in there yet.
So I have a few questions:
1. Is it possible that there would be babies already?
2. If not, would the mother fly away to save herself when this starts or will she guard the nest?
3. Do bird spikes hurt pigeons?
4. Are there any resources I can contact to help keep this from happening?
5. Do the pigeons have any rights?
6. Do I have any rights as a tenant?

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
hi there,wanted to post to bump the thread...I do not know anything about bird spikes because I do not live in a city....i would just go check if you can to see if there are babies in the nest, if they just layed eggs you could just leave it and they will most likely toss them when they do the cleaning/spike thing, but if they have babies you could take them and hand raise them if you feel you could do that...as far as rights....I don't think pigeons have any in this world except with pigeon lovers.:p I hope someone will be along to tell you what the spikes do and if you should say anything to management about it...some have alot of experience on this topic....let us know.:)

·
Registered
984 Posts
So I have a few questions:
1. Is it possible that there would be babies already?
Most likely, there may be eggs. I doubt there would be babies.
2. If not, would the mother fly away to save herself when this starts or will she guard the nest?
She will fly away.
3. Do bird spikes hurt pigeons?
No, some pigeons use the spikes as anchors for the nests.
4. Are there any resources I can contact to help keep this from happening?
You may use information from:
http://www.urbanwildlifesociety.org/UWS/BrdCtrl/BrdCtrlFAQ.html
5. Do the pigeons have any rights?
No, except under the blanket 'anti-abuse' laws, if they are being tortured you can report it, good luck getting a response, though.
6. Do I have any rights as a tenant?
Probably not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! It makes me feel better that there are probably not babies, and that the spikes won't hurt them. I have no way of seeing into the nest- it is too high up and I can't get a good angle with my binoculars to see into it, but she does appear to just be sitting there all the time (not actively feeding babies or anything).
It is awful that people feel like they need to do this, though. We don't even have that many pigeons here. I rather enjoy them.

Thanks again for your responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.