Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so i've aquired 3 breeding pairs from a friend and have built a very nice loft and things are going well, but i need some help. I live in alberta Canada and built an insulated loft with heat lamps in it, one of the pairs had a squab and he has grown and is flying in the coop.

What steps do i take to make him return, how do i know when to let him out. What else do i need to know before i let him out.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Do your research and ask around. I would have them on the landing board in some sort of settling cage right after weaning. Get them used to being called in to eat. After a couple of weeks of this, remove the settling cage and let them out. Don't force anything. Let them learn their surroundings on their own. Eventually they will start going up for short flights. In time they will start routing (being gone for longer lengths of time. When they are routing for 30 minutes or more it is time to start putting them in the basket and getting used to being released. Gradually work them down the road farther and farther. Again, don't be in a big hurry.

When they are first let out of the settling cage until they are routing is the really dangerous time as far as hawks and such are concerned. Stay out with them as much as possible.

Hope this helps.

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts