Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a month ago I went to a feed store to get a nice big bag of feed for my doves for cheap. And I was worried about one thing when I came there and I have proven it true. The feed contained eggs i suppose and now I have maggots or larvae in the feed bag and I've been feeding my doves this feed. Should I be concerned for them??? Are maggots or larvae harmful? I've very concerned because all of my doves have been eating from it. I just now discovered the little bugs crawling around in the bag.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Don't freak out -- this happens.

Get rid of all the seeds that are around -- the bag of seeds, obviously, and also any that are in the cages, on the floor, etc. Clean the cages well to get rid of any remaining eggs.

What do the bugs look like? Are they moths? Or are they little tiny brown-black bugs? Or did you just find the larvae?

If it is the black bugs, its probably weevils. They infest feed pretty often. They're generally pretty harmless, but they can carry tapeworm eggs, so it isn't a bad idea to worm your birds just as a precaution.

It's a lesson we all learn at some point -- grain sometimes comes with bugs. It's true with feed store grain, and sometimes with pet store grain, too.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I love the little dove in your avatar -- Diamond Doves are such lovely little things!

One of these days I want to have some of my own. (But...I'm overloaded with pigeons and ring necks!)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Get rid of all the seeds that are around -- the bag of seeds, obviously, and also any that are in the cages, on the floor, etc. Clean the cages well to get rid of any remaining eggs.

What do the bugs look like? Are they moths? Or are they little tiny brown-black bugs? Or did you just find the larvae?

If it is the black bugs, its probably weevils. They infest feed pretty often. They're generally pretty harmless, but they can carry tapeworm eggs, so it isn't a bad idea to worm your birds just as a precaution.

It's a lesson we all learn at some point -- grain sometimes comes with bugs. It's true with feed store grain, and sometimes with pet store grain, too.
So far I only see little white larvae with white webbing and white tiny eggs attached to the bag. It is so disgusting. I'll have to clean out the cages tomorrow when I get home from school. But then again I'm a little worried about my hen and her egg, I don't want to exactly move them when she is laying, or will this be okay?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the little dove in your avatar -- Diamond Doves are such lovely little things!

One of these days I want to have some of my own. (But...I'm overloaded with pigeons and ring necks!)
Thank you so much :) They are really beautiful little birds. Very delicate and fragile too though! Nothing like the big birds xD

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You know what, it is definitely moth larvae after a little research. :| I freaked out because I wasn't sure if these little guys could harm my birds or not

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I think it's probably grain moths ... I've had this happen before with store bought food in a sealed bag.

Do the best you can, with cleaning around the hen. It's best to avoid disturbing the nest -- though my ring necks actually don't mind me moving their nest bowls when they are sitting... I can move the bowl, and the bird, and they just sit there. If the hen stays put on the nest, you can move it gently and slowly.

I'd suggest waiting until after the baby is weaned to worm the parents. It's unlikely that they got any kind of parasite from this, so I'd be on the safe side and wait until the baby is old enough, and then just worm them all then.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Ah, yes, I see you posted while I was posting ... yes, it sounds like moths to me.

I freaked when I first had this happen, too.

I think I'd be almost afraid to handle Diamond Doves -- even my ring necks seem tiny and fragile to me, since I am most used to handling pigeons, who are much larger (and much more likely to whack the heck out of me, lol!)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, yes, I see you posted while I was posting ... yes, it sounds like moths to me.

I freaked when I first had this happen, too.

I think I'd be almost afraid to handle Diamond Doves -- even my ring necks seem tiny and fragile to me, since I am most used to handling pigeons, who are much larger (and much more likely to whack the heck out of me, lol!)
Going to have to vacuum real good tomorrow xD Do you know what the eggs look like?

Also can I just freeze the bag now too? (Although I kind of already threw it away) I have so many questions, I've never had this happen to me before x_x

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The only time I've ever seen the eggs is embedded that spidery webbing you described -- that's a sure-fire sign of these moths. The eggs themselves are tiny and cream/white colored.

I've heard that freezing will kill the moths and the larvae -- I've always just thrown away anything that had any sign of bugs.

Keep all your seeds in sealed, air tight containers, too -- that keeps the bugs out as well as any fungal growth, etc. When you get seeds, look to see if there are any sign of moths (spidery webbing) or weevils (which eat tiny holes through the seeds).

I fight a constant battle against these moths ... they're everywhere in our area.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would of taken the bag of feed back, and got one with a more recent date on it..usually on the tag..explain the findings and switch it out..it happens esp with grains that are stored for long periods.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would of taken the bag of feed back, and got one with a more recent date on it..usually on the tag..explain the findings and switch it out..it happens esp with grains that are stored for long periods.
When I bought the seed it was freshly packed and now that it's been about 3 weeks, I just found one Moth Larvae and some webbing along the inside of the bag... The place where I bought it from kept their seeds in large opened basket-like containers so I have a feeling that those may not be the freshest but there is a bagger that is always bagging seeds. It's really beyond me, when I started reading around it was actually common to have the moth eggs present in grain sometimes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only time I've ever seen the eggs is embedded that spidery webbing you described -- that's a sure-fire sign of these moths. The eggs themselves are tiny and cream/white colored.

I've heard that freezing will kill the moths and the larvae -- I've always just thrown away anything that had any sign of bugs.

Keep all your seeds in sealed, air tight containers, too -- that keeps the bugs out as well as any fungal growth, etc. When you get seeds, look to see if there are any sign of moths (spidery webbing) or weevils (which eat tiny holes through the seeds).

I fight a constant battle against these moths ... they're everywhere in our area.
I suppose next time when I buy, I'll just freeze the seed and store it like you said and I guess I'll have to see from there how things go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts