Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very concerned about my little youngin I found a while ago. Overall health is good but his splayed leg is getting worse.. I had a problem with both at first but one leg is perfectly normal. Now, ernies leg appears to be worse on one side. If i remove the tape, its completely to the side and back...his foot is also turned. its not cold and he grips with it when i put the tape on. when I tape him, he can stand up before feeding, but its like he gets tired or something and he cant bring his foot in. I'm very concerned about him. My vet (he used to be a zoo vet, but is now just cat and dog) isnt sure what else to do than tape it.... I don't know of ANY rehabilitators in the area and know f just one place that may help me but would probably require I give him over. I wasnt thrilled about him at first, but I'm quite attached to the little pooping machine...as well as my dog.. will this. they were retaped yesterday and I have taken pictures of them today. Im just so concerned that he will never be able to walk.

I can take more pictures if needed. the first is just before picking him up to feed him, and the next is right when I start feeding him (when hes flapping his wings cause he gets excited), and last is just after when he starts to fall over and lose control.

also, I want to keep him out of his little box more but when I take him out he whines constantly when I do. why is this? is he not comfortable? he is sitting just fine, just wont stop making noise. he makes noise as soon as he hears my voice or sees me usually. is this squab behavior and hell grow out of it?

thanks for any help
Kristi, Ernie, and Bindi

Attachments

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Kristi, here is a post I did from yesterday, instead of me typing everything again, it's makes more sense just to link you to it, as most of what's there will apply to you.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=560192&postcount=17

Can you better describe how you feed this little guy, what you are feeding him, his history? It may be a good idea to supplement him with some additional calcium, do you have any around or can you pick up some if I tell you what to get? He needs to get correctly taped up again, set up in a bowl and it may take a few weeks like this before the tape should come off again.

Any questions after reading the information, ask away.

Karyn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am migrating him over from the Zupreme mixed with kaytee exact to seed. ive been mixing it in with just straight zupreeme. the seed is wagners finch supreme. It may be a bit small so I can go get more but I am not aware of anywhere to get pigeon seed. he has been eating bits of grit here and there. Its forti-diet hi-cal diet. hes drinking water fine. I give him thawed and warmed peas. he really likes those. Everything seems ok just his leg. Ive seen posts about bowls. can you be more specific?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I guess I echo this. generally, as I understand it, the splint/tape has to stay on for a while. Ernie only looks maybe 2-1/2 weeks old if that...yet you say you have taken the tape off. So, that might help.

The diet sounds good. If I may suggest it, ask your vet if they can get this stuff called Neocalglucon. It is a supplement which my avian vet prescribes and it really helps with bone strengthening/mending/growth.

He's a cute lil' guy ! He's lucky to have a friend like you, too....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i was estimating his age according to the speedpigeon site. he looks exactly like the around 20 days old area. He doesnt have his yellow feathers anywhere anymore except his head and a little on the neck really. I started taping about a week ago and took the tape off (more like it came apart) for 2 days then took him back to the vet that monday and then retaped it yesterday (thursday).

you really think he could be about 2 1/2 weeks? that would put him at about 17 or 18 days old correct? I got him almost a week ago and I have pictures of him from then and he hasnt changed much in appearance since then.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Kristi, inside the link I provided, there is a thread that describes the use of a bowl, along with a photo and descriptions on how to get one set up and comfortable for him. Everything you need is in the links I provided, including how to properly get the legs taped up and aligned, looks to be around the 18-20 mark, do there is still time to get a good result for him. The tape has to stay on, as mentioned for a few weeks, no breaks. Please follow the links, read all the information, look at all the photos and if you have specific questions you are not clear on, please ask.

Here is a link for feeding, drinking and weaning, might be good to review these links as well.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/rescued-feral-help-please-48513.html#post522672

Karyn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kristi, inside the link I provided, there is a thread that describes the use of a bowl, along with a photo and descriptions on how to get one set up and comfortable for him. Everything you need is in the links I provided, including how to properly get the legs taped up and aligned, looks to be around the 18-20 mark, do there is still time to get a good result for him. The tape has to stay on, as mentioned for a few weeks, no breaks. Please follow the links, read all the information, look at all the photos and if you have specific questions you are not clear on, please ask.

Here is a link for feeding, drinking and weaning, might be good to review these links as well.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/rescued-feral-help-please-48513.html#post522672

Karyn
thank you so much for your help karyn. I cant thank you enough.. Ill go to the store first thing in the morning to get him a bowl. and just to clarify, he is to stay in this for how long? a few weeks just like the tape?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
thank you so much for your help karyn. I cant thank you enough.. Ill go to the store first thing in the morning to get him a bowl. and just to clarify, he is to stay in this for how long? a few weeks just like the tape?
Yes, most likely two weeks, could even be a bit longer. Also pick up a cheap, large, foam sponge, to cut up and use to pad the sides and make the bowl custom so it fits him well and supports his body, while the legs have room to hang, with little to no weight on them in the bowl's well, unless he wants to push down and move around a bit. All of this will be covered with old tee shirt cloth (cotton), or terry cloth toweling, so it's soft and gives grip to his feet if he pushes down (don't forget to also buy some two way tape, to tape everything together for the bowl, including the cloth to the bottom of the bowl, so it does not slip or move).

Karyn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update on ernie.

Ernie is doing much better these days. My vet retaped his legs several times before we got it right. he can now stand with this tape but is still weak. He's starting to walk around and once he gets tired i put him back in his bowl and he crashes out for a while. he's not taking to seed all that well. He seems to really like the zupreeme stuff but hell get some seed here and there.
I do however feel like his leg will never be normal. being taped I was able to bring his leg back under his body but his foot still doesnt face forward. The vet said we will focus on that next taping but he's very glad and surprised we were able to bring the leg under the body. he is very wobbly but improving every day. I'm very glad I joined this forum and really didnt expect to get so attached to this little guy. I was thinking of getting a bird in the future and then ernie came in... not exactly what I had in mind for a bird but he is wonderful. He's much more quiet now but has episodes of "fits" where it seems if I reach my hand towards him in the bowl he screeches at me with a very urgent sounding noise. It sounds like when I first got him he would do that at feeding. Is this the same thing or is he getting a little territorial of his little space?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Kristi, glad to hear Ernie is doing much better, like I mentioned it may take some time to slowly bring things back in line. There is a bit of urgency that his condition be steadily worked on as he is aging and his bones are setting up and the older they get, the more challenging it is to get things back in line, so don't go too long between vet visits to keep moving things into a more correct position.

What we want to to do is at least get the leg to a point where it is of use to him, and ideally very good use, so it's too early to say yet just where he will finally end up with it. The "fit" you refer to, when your hand approaches, would be normal feeding behavior, he gets exited when he sees your hand, as it means chow time :D, and the can also make quite a good bit of "peeping/squeaking" noises at this age, we sometimes call squabs this age "peepers" or "squeakers", so this would be perfectly normal as well.

You can spend sometimes each day gently lifting him up by the sides of his body and allowing him to place weight on his legs and then back down, sort of supported pigeon squats, press in/support the sides of his legs, so they do not flair out, to help build tone in his legs. Also, did you get him on the calcium supplementation?

Karyn

·
Registered
293 Posts
To cute , Ernie is a lucky little fellow to have such a caring person . Ernie will be a forever friend and you to him . Remember Ernie sought you out . This has been a heartwarming read .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts