Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I see a lot of posts offering lovely pigeons for sale, which I would love to have :rolleyes:. Issue is I am from India and I have never dealt with breeders outside my country.

I would like to know what are the formalities involved in getting a pigeon imported from the U.S.A (since most posts are from the U.S.) to India. I am looking for assisted import as my financials does not allow me a trip to the great country for bringing the pigeons :(

I am looking for fancy pigeon and not for hi-flyers. Can anyone help me with the same pls ? Thanks in advance

Regards,
Sreesh

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
shipping would be stressful on the birds and would most likely cost you as much if not more than you taking a trip here. they need a vet exam and vaccinations and alot of paper work on each bird, which would cost you before you even pay for the trip. I think if you do some investiagation you can find pigeons in India and save yourself and the birds the hassel.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I knew the mention of the fertile eggs was going to get attention... really with the time and money it takes and they may not even hatch.???? one, you have to have a foster pair ready and on the same time frame as the eggs, then they have to be packed and shipped all the way there which who knows how long that will take, being xrayed which would zap them right there...The only way this fertile egg thing is feasable is if you have a pair nesting at the right time and someone local gives you some eggs under a week old and you put them under the hen and hope for the best. Sorry you can't find what you want there, that is just the way it is.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yaa I get your point. Foster parents are not an issue because I have some which I use for fostering the fancier pairs' eggs who are not so capable of taking care of the youngs, but after writing abt the eggs, I had my doubts abt it being a practical one.

Well its a big land, somewhere here there will be a new breed which I am looking for, lets keep our fingers crossed :-D

Thanks for all your suggestions, have a good day
Sreesh

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've imported birds to the US and shipped them from the US to other countries. It's not only feasible, it's done often. As for shipping them from the US, that's not the major problem, though you have to find a breeder who's willing to follow international animal shipping guidelines (each airline has a copy of the approved crating and watering system that they can provide or you can build.) Also, remember shipping is on a volume rather than on a weight basis, so just cutting the height or width of the crate by a few centimeters can have a major effect on the shipping costs.

Normally, you, as the buyer, would be responsible for finding out what paperwork would be necessary for your government regulatory bodies in India. This paperwork needs to be gathered ahead of time. You have to find out if India demands any sort of quarantine for the birds on arrival there (not all countries do) and, if so, to make sure that's arranged before the birds leave the US. Each airline may also have charges for "decontamination" of the spot where the pigeons were held. You also have to have a shipper who is willing to deal with the outgoing US paperwork as well. That includes having a Federally appointed veterinarian check the birds before shipping (another added cost) and then the shipper has to get the birds to the airport and onto a flight along with the outgoing paperwork and copies of the Indian incoming paperwork as well.

Incoming birds here have to sit for 30 days in a federal quarantine station and that adds considerably to the cost of the birds. If they land after normal working hours, then there is also an additional expense for the federal employees to handle them. There are also expenses for the broker who handles the birds through customs. When I brought in "free" Danish Suabians from Denmark some fifteen years back now, each bird actually cost me about $200

The birds, by the way, arrived at my loft in absolutely beautiful condition and began breeding two days after they got here. Tens of thousands of animals are shipped worldwide each day and most arrive in fantastic condition. The airlines do a great job with them. However, you also have to remember that you, too, may need to be part of the shipping. Once, I spent ten hours on the phone between here and the Netherlands making sure that birds that missed a flight were able to get onto another one and onto their destination to Denmark. (with the 9 hour time difference that was not fun either).

However, if you prefer not going though all the shipping hassle, you might want to consider contacting http://www.geocities.com/tanveer2202/index.htm Tanveer Lofts. I'm not sure what breeds you're looking for, but he's in India and has many. It might be simpler to get some from him or to see if he has contacts in Europe that might make shipping easier for you.

Frank

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A friend of mine who is currently in Norwich and coming to India in the month of December. He is willing to bring the pigeons along with him for me :D, but needs help in locating a trusted person/entity from where he can buy the pigeons without getting fooled (he has practically very little experience with pigeons). Can anybody here help me with this please.... :confused:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
A friend of mine who is currently in Norwich and coming to India in the month of December. He is willing to bring the pigeons along with him for me :D, but needs help in locating a trusted person/entity from where he can buy the pigeons without getting fooled (he has practically very little experience with pigeons). Can anybody here help me with this please.... :confused:
Norwich as in the UK? I would start a new thread asking for UK members advice/help (If that is where you are talking of)...more will see it in a new thread....good luck! that sounds more promising for you. what kind of pigeons are you looking for anyway?:)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks in advance Spirit Wings :D

Yes, Norwich as in UK.

I am looking for a pair of homers, thats my first choice as its homers which are not available in this mainland now. My second choice would be either a pair of Chinese Owls or Satinettes.

I am planning to take only one pair, this will be the first time I am directly bringing them from another region and want to be sure that I bring only the right number of pigeons for which my family will be able to provide extra care, attention and time :) Anyway my friend will be going back to Norwich and coming back again may be by April 2010. So I can plan for more if needed :rolleyes: ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts