Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, power outages are occurring all over town. If you guys were me, and if the power decides to go out and there's no heat except for in the one room with a gas heater--what would you do to keep the diamond doves, ringneck doves, parakeets, and zebra finches safe/healthy/warm enough? All of these birds are used to 70 F year round.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would have an emergency propane heater.
I'm talking about today. We're basically trapped in the house and power outages are all over town. We were getting concerned that we will be next. The only non-electric heater we have is natural gas. And it's fumey/non vented which would be concerning with birds.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I'm talking about today. We're basically trapped in the house and power outages are all over town. We were getting concerned that we will be next. The only non-electric heater we have is natural gas. And it's fumey/non vented which would be concerning with birds.
well yuck.. so sorry, not sure what to tell you.. if you do not have emergency heater already.. can you go to town? never mind you said you were trapped.. I would put blankets on the cages at evening and put them in the sunny window IF YOU HAVE SUN OUT that is and try to use the rays of sun coming in the window with a blanket on one side to trap the light rays.. ??

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well yuck.. so sorry, not sure what to tell you.. if you do not have emergency heater already.. can you go to town?
We are in town--but the snow is so heavy it's ripping down the lines and trees and so people are losing power.

I couldn't even get into work this morning because one of our cars is too close to the ground to go through the snow and has a short in the wiper system, horn, and defrost. The other car's wiper shattered/came off while we were trying to get it ready to go.

I'm getting a ride from someone to go to work theoretically. We'll see if she makes it up the hill.

I don't know that we would even make it to work. Plus I don't own the house so I can't really have extra fixtures installed.

Everything else for supplemental heat that I can think of is electric. :(

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
We are in town--but the snow is so heavy it's ripping down the lines and trees and so people are losing power.

I couldn't even get into work this morning because one of our cars is too close to the ground to go through the snow and has a short in the wiper system, horn, and defrost. The other car's wiper shattered/came off while we were trying to get it ready to go.

I'm getting a ride from someone to go to work theoretically. We'll see if she makes it up the hill.

I don't know that we would even make it to work. Plus I don't own the house so I can't really have extra fixtures installed.

Everything else for supplemental heat that I can think of is electric. :(
well maybe you will be one of the lucky ones and keep your power.. I so know how irritating it is.. lost it for a week with hurrican season last year..but when it is cold it is bad.. we have a woodstove so we do not worry about heat.. If you do lose power hope the sun comes out and put them in a sunny window..and plan for next time. If you can get out to go to someone still has power that would be wise as it is too cold to be stuck in your house with no heat for too long. I would not even worry about work righ now.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Won't help in the short term, but think about getting a small generator that could be kept in the garage, and a long extension cord to run heater(s) in the house. Good luck. Heard you were going to get hit really hard. Crazy winter! While you're going through blizzard conditions, it's 36 and sunny in Wisconsin. Weird.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Some people stock up on those hand warmers. Actually you can get them in different sizes. They are in like a plastic bag or something, and you just shake or crack it to activate. And put them in their cages. They stay warm for hours.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Libis - you should live by Jay3's signature. Only change the rain to "dance in the snow"

OK - maybe too soon for humor:(

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
After last year, I hate SNOW! We had storm after storm. It was awful. This year mother nature has so far, blessed us with great weather. Warmer than normal temps for the most part. But the winter is not over yet. And I always worry about electrical outages too.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I hear you. Last year we had a 16-18 inch snowstorm on ground hogs day. This year temps in the 40s melting what little snow we have. It is 37 outside right now. But I won't be fooled. One of the worst storms we ever had was towards the end of April. Snow, then freezing rain, then more snow. Mother Nature sure can be fickle.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
So, power outages are occurring all over town. If you guys were me, and if the power decides to go out and there's no heat except for in the one room with a gas heater--what would you do to keep the diamond doves, ringneck doves, parakeets, and zebra finches safe/healthy/warm enough? All of these birds are used to 70 F year round.
I use to heat my other house with 'vent free' gas heaters.
http://www.empirezoneheat.com/ehs/
My main source of heat was a wood stove, but I used the gas heaters during the night when the stove died out. Never bothered any of my birds.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes Waynette. We have a gas fireplace in the living room also. It's great! Also unvented. But you don't smell anything from it, and I have a really good sense of smell. Libis said hers was fumey. So I guess you can smell it?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
What will you do if the power goes out. The birds should survive ok. As if your house is warm Then it would take sometime to get temps down very low. And if you are thereYou have to stay warm. Back in 2001 we had a bad ice storm. trees down power lines down No power for 3 days Others had no power for over a week. Our house never got colder then 50 degrees. We just used a few candles to see at night and they Worked. The birds should be able to make it just fine. A few days. Even the parkeets can take freezing temps. For awhile. But the problem is there are used to warm temps as now. Put your thermostat up a few more degrees so if the power goes down the house can hold the temps longer

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Good idea. That's what I do if we are worried about the power going off. I turn up the heat so that if it should go out, it is at least starting at a warmer temp.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I took time over the summer to install an interlock switch on my main panel. If the power goes off I flip the switch so I DO NOT back feed the utility pole, start my 5000W generator and backfeed power into my house. I already had the generator so it only cost me about $250. I like to plan ahead.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've heard that two airline tickets to Hawaii tends to help :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.