Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a silky female RN dove who is very inactive. She will not get off of her perch or go to the bottom of her cage. When she is out she will only stand in one place and walks stiffly when she takes a step. She is eating and her droppings are normal. She has gone out of her cage with another female and by herself and she does the same thing - no movement. She will not respond to the male nearby her cage. Is there something wrong with her? I have two other silkies who are very active, so I know that it is not the silky type dove.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
How old is she?

Is she eating well?

Does she have a mate?

Has she ever laid eggs?

Does she have access to a good calcium grit?

How do her poops look?

You need to isolate her for now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inactive bird

She is supposedly two years old. Eating well and poops are fine. She gets a good dove mix with oyster shells and grit. Veggies for treats. Was a breeding female prior to me getting her. She will not respond to a male next to her and has no interest in him. No mate

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Sorry about all the questions.

Did she act this way when you got her?

Have you looked inside her beak for any lesions?

If you compare her to your other birds, is there any swelling anywhere around her vent or bottom?

You should consult an avian vet and get her examined and a fecal done.

·
Registered
777 Posts
walking stiff and an unwillingness to move around, plus lack of interest might mean she is in internal pain...remember that by the time birds show symptoms to us, they are probably REALLY sick or injured...but if she is eating and pooping, perhaps it is related to egg laying...with females I always suspect ovary, egg-bound sorts of issues...have you tried to feel gently around her vent or abdomen? Diagnosis is so hard.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts