Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have any of you ever experienced a highly inbred bird that was just so wild, that you wonder if the poor bird is suffering from physiological disorders. This inbred President hen I purchased from Bob Duhras loft is completely psycho. I come into the loft, and she flies and bangs into the wall or whatever. Is there anything I can do to calm her down? I thought about putting her with a mellow Topo cock which I purchased in another section hoping that would help to settle her down. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have tried standing in the loft perfectly still and baby talking to for her to consider me a friend and not a threat. I will just have to give her more time. I feel so sorry for her that she feels that much anxiety, that she just goes nuts!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Do you know if she was taken away from her mate? She could be going through a grieving process.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That I do not know. She is a nice looking bird, and the Topo cock would be good for her. I guess I will just have to be patient with her. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
After two weeks in your loft she should calm down. Just move slow and give her space. At night catch her when she cannot see and hold her, pet her until she calms down. Once she learns you mean her no harm she should be ok. I'm not sure but her fear seems to be caused by where she came from. Be it, losing her mate, nest, over crouding, or what. That much fear has a cause, but with you she will calm down. Just give her time.

G

·
some pigeons are just born with a fire that way and they never quite settle down, but with time they become at least more acepting to your presence ,so yes give her time and a mate sure wouldnt hurt either as she needs a connection to your loft to help get her used to the new environment ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with inbreeding. I have a pair that will get up off their eggs whenever I open the loft door, which is about 6-7 feet from their nest. The hen does this more than the cock. I think he learned it from her 'cause he's a calm cock for the most part. The hen, on the other hand, is wild.

What I've done to calm down wild birds is put them in small cages and handle them, or stand close to them as much as I can. Eventually they calm down. Some not entirely, but, they learn to not fly against the cage.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
could be a combo of new place and just being a wildchild, you may want to think twice about breeding her, traits do run in families of birds. some are just that way. I have had mine for over a year now and just a few will act like Im a moutain lion in there, but most just stay on the perch.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If the bird has had little human contact it will be wild. It may have been in a large loft were it could avoid human contact. Give it it's space and some time it may calm down. If it does not calm down within a month you then should start to think maybe it is the bird and not other facters that have caused this.

If it does calm down I would not let this stop you from breeding from this bird. You never know what a bird will produce until you breed from it with more than one cock if the first pairing does not click. For any new bird you think has what it takes in your breeding program you should give it three seasons with three different cocks before you right it off.

Ace

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all of you for your input. I will spend more time in the loft being still, and after dark catch her, hold her gently and pet her back.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Have any of you ever experienced a highly inbred bird that was just so wild, that you wonder if the poor bird is suffering from physiological disorders. This inbred President hen I purchased from Bob Duhras loft is completely psycho. I come into the loft, and she flies and bangs into the wall or whatever. Is there anything I can do to calm her down? I thought about putting her with a mellow Topo cock which I purchased in another section hoping that would help to settle her down. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have tried standing in the loft perfectly still and baby talking to for her to consider me a friend and not a threat. I will just have to give her more time. I feel so sorry for her that she feels that much anxiety, that she just goes nuts!
Like another post suggested, I don't think the inbreeding is necessarily the cause. I suspect such birds were raised with little human contact, perhaps because they simply have feed thrown at that once a day, and are warehoused like chickens. So, IMHO I think it has much more to do with the environment she was raised in.

One of my Ludo hens I purchased from Ludo Claessen, provided me with some valuable insight as to how Ludo must have cared for his birds. The "Zus Red Quinty" was so calm and tame, that she would let me stroke her back and scratch her neck. She acts as if she was someone's only pet pigeon and they spent many hours a day providing her love and care.

There may be birds which are just naturally nervous and flighty. Such as flying off the nest when you approach etc. I personally do not like such pigeons, and consider it a breeding fault, and will not keep such pigeons. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not yet. I still have the cocks and hens separated. I went in the loft this afternoon, moving slowly and baby talking to her, but she is still very nervous. I may rig up a smaller cage, keep her a little hungry, and see if that fear is over shadowed by the desire to feed. In fact, I am going into the loft rite now and hold her, and see how she does. Be back in a few.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! I went into the hen section, turned the lite on and picked her off of her perch, she did not panic, her heart was not pounding, and she did not try to get loose. Man, what a change. I put her back on her perch, and she did not try to fly away to get away from me. I will have to do this again tomorrow nite.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have a hen just as crazy! She is an inbred Van Loon hen and she is very wild. And she's smart too! As soon as I walk into her section, she immediately flies towards the door. When I go outside to the aviary, she's the first one back inside. As wild as she is, once I get my hands on her, she calms down pretty quick. I've thought about putting her with a calmer cock for next year's breeding season. I heard that it's good to mate a wild and nervous bird with a calm and patient one. The young would be full of vitality!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just thought I would show how inbred she is and see what comments I get. On her sire's side, she is a grand daughter and great grand daughter. On her dam's side, she a grand daughter, and great grand daughter twice. I think I read the pedigree rite.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a loft full of mad pigeons, i walk in the loft they bounce off every wall if i dont leave the loft bleeding in less than 3 spots then im happy,they home from a race only to sit and look at evey little thing befor they decide to trap and I would not have them any other way. On bath day I can lay in the yard and the birds will walk all over me and eat out of my hand but in the loft thats anoter story.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts