Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a small, affordable incubator to use for hatchling songbirds/hatchling pigeons? Or even creative solutions to keep a completely warm atmosphere? I had some hatchlings yesterday that I was able to heat from underneath, but, even in a small terrarium, they weren't warm enough. Sadly, they died overnight (not necessarily from lack of warmth, but I think it would have helped).

Thank you. Sad about these tiny ones.

:(

Link to pic of these tiny guys:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157629457335264/

Bronwyn

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a small, affordable incubator to use for hatchling songbirds/hatchling pigeons? Or even creative solutions to keep a completely warm atmosphere? I had some hatchlings yesterday that I was able to heat from underneath, but, even in a small terrarium, they weren't warm enough. Sadly, they died overnight (not necessarily from lack of warmth, but I think it would have helped).

Thank you. Sad about these tiny ones.

:(

Link to pic of these tiny guys:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157629457335264/

Bronwyn
They probably weren't warm enough because you were heating the terrarium from underneath. I raised 2 pigeons that were only a couple of days old in an aquarium, by using a reptile heater over the tank. They are ceramic heaters and don't throw any light. Just a nice even warmth. Hang it over the cage or aquarium on a chain so you can lower or raise it. Lowering will make it warmer, and raising will make it cooler. Then I covered half the top with something solid to hold in the heat and placed a thermometer right next to the nest. You can get the temp. adjusted by lowering or raising the heater till you get it at the temp you want. It held pretty steadily at that temp. And I could just check by looking at the thermometer. I used either a 60 or 100 watt heater. Pet shops have them, but not always the wattage you want. I order mine online. It worked great, and you are only investing in a ceramic reptile heater and the lamp holder which has to also have the ceramic thing that you screw the bulb into. Think I used the 100 watt at the time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh thank you everyone for this wonderful advice! I'll get to work on it right away before my next hatchling orphans arrive.

I hope I am able to do a much better job.

Bronwyn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts