Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get some info on parasites and ways of treating them.

I have 6 racing homers. Never had any parasites.

This past weekend I obtained several Indian Fantails. Gorgeous birds, but infested with parasites.

The parasites: On, and for the most part, around the quills of the feathers, there were little brown specs. I'm assuming those were mites? I have had some say it just might be dirt on the feathers, but don't think that's the case. I wish I had pictures, but do not. Also on the birds, were long, thin, sliver-like parasites that were dark brown/black in color. Possibly 1/8 to under 1/4 of an inch long. Very easy to spot these. Pretty long but thin. They wern't worm-like. And looking carefully, it seemed that they had small legs towards the front of them, then dragged the rest of the body behind.

I treated for two days with permethrin. Sprayed the birds and also sprayed the cage I have them in. Seemed to kill everything instantly. The birds preened off those larger parasites. Or, they fell off dead. I still see the brown specs by the quills, but it doesn't look like they're moving at all. On the third and 4th days, I bought Insectrin dust and only dusted the bottom of the cage with it (Which also contains permethrin).

Does that seem like that was an ok timeframe to treat for? I didn't want to make these birds sick. I am on day 4 of this right now. Does anyone know if permethrin will also kill any eggs? If not, when should I plan to treat again? (as the eggs will then eventually hatch).

So far, the racers are ok. I keep them in the same room, but seperate cages. These are pet birds.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this. I look forward to hearing the ideas. Thanks again.

Jay

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have also heard about Adam's Flea and Tick spray used primarilly on dogs and cats. Supposedly that stuff would kill off any eggs too. I have heard of recommendations to use that too. I know it's a very strong product and toxic.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
they sound like lice from you're description. I treat new birds and dust them with 5% seven dust..once a week for three weeks.. dusting the cage is fine..but you don't want them to inhale it so put hay over it. there are also other products like scatt and lice and mite sprays for birds..Im sure anyone of them would work and just go by the directions. do not use products for dogs and cats.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The spots near the quill are probably eggs. If these manage to hatch, you may have to treat them again. Permethrin is the way to go, in my opinion. Don't forget to spray in corners where two pieces of wood meet (like the back of a perch).
Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts