Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make individual breeding pens. I have room to make them 3 foot by 4 foot 16 inches high. I was wondering if this would be ample room to keep 2 birds lock in there for a couple months , thanks for you input

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have seen Ind's in all sizes. A lot depends on the size bird.

For my Fantails, I have been breeding in three sizes successfully for several years. They are: 24 X 36 X 18; 24 X 48 X 18" and 30X 36 X 16. I like the 18" for height, and think that either the 24 by 48 or 30 by 36 is best.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I want to make individual breeding pens. I have room to make them 3 foot by 4 foot 16 inches high. I was wondering if this would be ample room to keep 2 birds lock in there for a couple months , thanks for you input
3'x4' is more than enough room but I would allow 20" at least in hieght for a locked up breeding coop, for some breeds 16" could hamper their breeding. I would also cut the depth front to back down to at least 30" so it is easier to reach the back of the box where the birds will want to nest. The extra hieght will allow you to elevate the nestbowl and put the young on the bottom when the birds are ready to lay the next set of eggs.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would go 24" in height, pigeons like to flap their wings, and move up and down. I have Racing Homers, and from what I've seen them do, they need at least 24".
24",- 2' saves on wood, not a lot wasted out of 4x8 ft. ply. 4' deep, is hard to reach, sure, but, It's also more room for the Pigeons, and again, no waste from a 4x8 ft. ply. Less sawing, less work. Call Me Lazy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.