Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days ago a friend gave me a pair of pigeons..when i left the cage open the male flied away and i caught the female a second before it leaves too..male didnt even returned back to my friends coop nor returned back to mine.the female is really scared..i cant even clean its coop:( when i go to change the floor newspapers from the ground it starts to be very anxious and makes that alarm sound all the time like coo o oo oo...its very scared..it eats and drinks,not much but it does.. my parents dont allow me to bring the whole coop down to y bedroom..shall i just bring the pigeon in my room at nights to sleep ???i'm sure it will fly like crazy around because itll be scared and if goes up to a high bookself i cant chase it..you know if i chase it now that it is scared to catch it it will think of me like a predator..i really dont know what to do,i need help...TODAY..:(

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Can you bring the pigeon inside in a cat type carrier?

Can you show us a picture of the coop/cage that you currently keep the bird in when it is outside?

·
Registered
297 Posts
It sounds like a crazy one alright... Whatever you do, don't go in the coop unless you have to, like to change water, food ect. try to make cleaning time short and if you have a smaller cage try to cover the entrance with your whole body, I don't think she'd try to fly out then. Keep her in for two weeks, even three if you think it's necessary. She should be settled down by then.
I once had a feral that flew into my loft when it was just a baby, it was probably taking shelter from a storm. Peepers, as I named it, stayed after I kept him in for a week, but finally left after he found another feral pigeon and they became mates.
I hope this helps, and good luck with your bird!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like a crazy one alright... Whatever you do, don't go in the coop unless you have to, like to change water, food ect. try to make cleaning time short and if you have a smaller cage try to cover the entrance with your whole body, I don't think she'd try to fly out then. Keep her in for two weeks, even three if you think it's necessary. She should be settled down by then.
I once had a feral that flew into my loft when it was just a baby, it was probably taking shelter from a storm. Peepers, as I named it, stayed after I kept him in for a week, but finally left after he found another feral pigeon and they became mates.
I hope this helps, and good luck with your bird!
thanks for advice

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oki tg,but not tonight its 11 p.m now in greece,i'll post a picture tomoorow morning of the cage..what do you mean to carry it in a cat carrier?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
She needs to get used to you. Talk to her gently and do not make sudden movements when you are around her. I’m sorry that you lost her mate, just be careful with the door in the future.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Mike, you probably already have learned, you never leave the door open especially if your pigeon is not used to you. When pigeons are introduced to a new area and new person, it is normal for them to be scared and nervous of the new environment. They especially are unsure of your hand when you are reaching in to change the paper in the cage. They see that hand as a different being other than you. It took some of my pet pigeons months to get used to the daily routine of my hand going in to their domain which they do get to be very protective of. As far as bringing in the coop, well if the parents say no, well you have to respect that of course. Remember, if you allow it to free fly, it could be dangerous for your bird(s) and could create a mess for you to clean up...if not, you will have to answer to mom! PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE and time is the key to making a pigeon your friend!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
oki tg,but not tonight its 11 p.m now in greece,i'll post a picture tomoorow morning of the cage..what do you mean to carry it in a cat carrier?
A cat carrier is a pet carrier smaller than a dog carrier or sometimes called a kennel. It is made of hard plastic with a metal grated door and air vents on the side. Many people have these to transport them or house them temporarily to treat sick birds. They are nice to have if you don't have one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oki people,but if i cant get the cage in and not let pigeon at nights in my room cause its still scared shall i leave it into its cage until its not scared??its the only solution but i dont like it:mad::(

·
Registered
297 Posts
Until you think it's completley settled, I think keeping it in the cage would be best solution. But I'm still not sure how it would react even when it's adjusted to the nevirment when you let it out. I'v never had mine in the house so I'll leave that to people who have experience with it.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
oki people,but if i cant get the cage in and not let pigeon at nights in my room cause its still scared shall i leave it into its cage until its not scared??its the only solution but i dont like it:mad::(
Mike, YOU are the one asking for guidance with your problem. You may not "like it" but it is what is in the best interest of you and your bird. Allowing a bird...a pigeon in your case to free fly around can be dangerous to the bird if the caretaker is not careful. There are many indoor dangers such as pets (dogs cats), ceiling fans,certain plants, light bulbs, window panes, nick-knacks, door tops, certain smells like house cleaners and Teflon cooking pans can be toxic to birds. If you can get a cage in your room, cover most of it so it can feel secure and sleep well. The first few nights indoors might make the bird nervous. It does not know that your intentions are good so remember that.It takes some time for a pigeon to gain your trust. Once it does, you have a friend for life.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I often bring ferals (street pigeons) into the house to treat them. As you can imagine, they get very nervous, and they are kept in a cage to stop them from flying around and hurting themselves. I think this would be a good idea for your pigeon initially. I understand that you don't like this, but it would be a temporary thing, until she gets used to you.

Don't put the cage very high. If she is at the same height as your face, it will be easier to tame her. If she acts really scared or aggressive, putting a towell or something like that over the cage, to make it dark inside, will calm her down. For the most hostile pigeon that I got I had to cover the cage for 3 days.

As Victor said, move very slowly around her and keep your hands lower than her head. Talk to her softly and offer her something nice to eat from your hand. She may not take it the first few times, but she will eventually. Patience is very important! :)

Are you sure that the birds were tame? Did your friend raise them? They acted just like ferals!

Anyway, good luck to you! I hope that your hen will soon learn that you are her friend.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Fans are definetly dangerous to birds. My bird, Greenie, almost lost his life when he ran into our out door fan, wich happened to be running but is always kept off now. He split open his stomach area and broke his leg, had to get stiches, his band cut off, and had to sit in a dog cage alone for a month or two.
When you let your bird out make sure your careful about fans.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1-2 months left for winter...i will keep my bird out(i will post a picture of the cage tomorrow mornng so you can tell me what you think) and after i'll move the cage into my room..i believe everything's will work fine..thank you all guys for the dvices iread them carefully

1 - 14 of 14 Posts