Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a question to all of the folks that keep thier pigeons indoors.What do you do about the poop?I mean really.I order the PG Wear but Petey is having a hard time getting used to it.So in the meantime I want him out of his cage, but there is poop all over the room.I have cleaned the carpet once now and he has pooped on my curtains, the window sill, the bed in the guest room and even the DOG!! LOL.I really don't mind cleaning it, but I didn't know if anyone else had any ideas?Will they sit on a towel in a location that you choose?What do other members do?

Secondly, bath time.I can't get Petey to take a bath in anything but my bathroom sink, which I have to splash the water on him so you can imagine the amount of water that gets everywhere.I have tried containers like kitty litter pans, bowls, the tub.He doesn't want them, he wants me to sit in the bathroom and flick water on him and dribble it on his back.Is he spoiled or can this be changed so that he gets a more frequent bath?

Thanks as always for all the insight and help!!::D

·
Registered
911 Posts
Pigeon poop in the house is a real problem if you want to maintain a clean and neat home. My only advice for you is to not give up with the PG Wear. It took my Jackie about 3 weeks to really feel comfortable wearing it and was flying normally again having it on. It is the only solution for your problem if you want your bird to free fly in the house. In the meantime you might limit your bird to flying free in only one room. Protect the furniture/rugs ect. as best you can in that limited space and it will save you alot of time and energy rather than the entire house having to be cleaned. Trust me, the bird will get used to the PG Wear, you just need to be persistent.

The bath isssue is another problem I have as well. My bird is just as spoiled and will only take a bath in my kitchen sink. She does make a mess splashing, but it is easy to clean up and I don't mind it a bit. The only problem I have is that when she is out of the cage and I attempt to wash dishes or turn the water on in the sink she immediately flys in and gets her PG Wear all wet. If only I could teach her how to wash the dishes all would be perfect.

I wish you luck..........Oh the joys of have a pet pij. lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pigeon poop in the house is a real problem if you want to maintain a clean and neat home. My only advice for you is to not give up with the PG Wear. It took my Jackie about 3 weeks to really feel comfortable wearing it and was flying normally again having it on. It is the only solution for your problem if you want your bird to free fly in the house. In the meantime you might limit your bird to flying free in only one room. Protect the furniture/rugs ect. as best you can in that limited space and it will save you alot of time and energy rather than the entire house having to be cleaned. Trust me, the bird will get used to the PG Wear, you just need to be persistent.

The bath isssue is another problem I have as well. My bird is just as spoiled and will only take a bath in my kitchen sink. She does make a mess splashing, but it is easy to clean up and I don't mind it a bit. The only problem I have is that when she is out of the cage and I attempt to wash dishes or turn the water on in the sink she immediately flys in and gets her PG Wear all wet. If only I could teach her how to wash the dishes all would be perfect.

I wish you luck..........Oh the joys of have a pet pij. lol
You are so right - a little dishwasher helper would be good!! LOL Just the mental picture of them doing the dishes...I will keep trying with the PG Wear....the bath I don't mind the splashed but I am telling you the amount of water that is all over the counter it soaks a beach towel!! So I was just looking for a better way....hard to get these little babies out of a routine!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I use puppy pads

I cover things I don't want pooped on with puppy pads and I put some along the top of the curtain rods so if there and accident up there I just yank down the puppy pad and replace it. I have 18 in the house right now plus 12 Doves but I only let 2-4 out at a time and I run a couple large air cleaner things to keep the pigeon talc/dust down.

NAB :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Another trick, from one that has lived with indoor Pigeons ...put a couple of shelves on the wall and different heights...Pigeons love shelves and love choices. Underneath each shelf and on the floor, use painter's blue tape to secure newspaper to the floor to catch the droppings. Generally, House Pigeons choose a favorite spot and return to it.
I would also keep working on the use of the diaper. Don't let Petey buffalo you.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I cover things I don't want pooped on with puppy pads and I put some along the top of the curtain rods so if there and accident up there I just yank down the puppy pad and replace it. I have 18 in the house right now plus 12 Doves but I only let 2-4 out at a time and I run a couple large air cleaner things to keep the pigeon talc/dust down.

NAB :)
LOL...you really are a good egg.
BTY...happy belated BD.:D

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I can share with you my experience of litter training dogs (pooping out of house), cats (pooping in the toilet – without flushing water), rabbits (pooping in the cat litter box and hidden places).
With pigeons I had only limited success. Best I managed is to poop only on me.
I will leave rest to you imagination.;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can share with you my experience of litter training dogs (pooping out of house), cats (pooping in the toilet – without flushing water), rabbits (pooping in the cat litter box and hidden places).
With pigeons I had only limited success. Best I managed is to poop only on me.
I will leave rest to you imagination.;)
Too funny!!! Petey has the pooping on me mastered as well!!I thought the one on my dog was funny...right on top of her head, she looked up at me chomping on a seed, feather stuck up her nose and pigeon poop on her head!! I wished I had my camera!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry, I'm enjoying this site, but a bird in the house belongs in a cage. Unlike dogs and cats, it is unlikely that you will be able to "house train" a pigeon. Ask any park bench or statue....pigeons poop for a living, and you don't need that kind of contamination in your home, on your furniture, carpets or finding its way into you food. :confused::mad:

Mike

·
Registered
240 Posts
Too funny!!! Petey has the pooping on me mastered as well!!I thought the one on my dog was funny...right on top of her head, she looked up at me chomping on a seed, feather stuck up her nose and pigeon poop on her head!! I wished I had my camera!!!
That was definitely a Kodak moment! Pity the camera's not handy when we most need it! When I used to let my doves out I would keep them in a room, remove all the carpets and cover anything not easily cleaned. Personally if you can limit them to one room and give the diaper a miss I think it would be better. That being said, dove poop isn't fun to clean and I know pijjies are even more well ehem prolific in that department :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry, I'm enjoying this site, but a bird in the house belongs in a cage. Unlike dogs and cats, it is unlikely that you will be able to "house train" a pigeon. Ask any park bench or statue....pigeons poop for a living, and you don't need that kind of contamination in your home, on your furniture, carpets or finding its way into you food. :confused::mad:

Mike
I felt the same way but seeing them fly and enjoy their freedom changes your mind. They do need to stretch their wings, that's what they are made for after all :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it's very important for me to let Petey have some fly time out of his cage.I am just looking for ideas and solutions other members use.Like Charis's idea I didn't even think of that...I use towels like the puppy pads and of course wash them in hot water in the machine after shaking them out...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
1 pigeon – I let him fly in the lounge.
4 pigeons – left them empty entrance hall of the house with varnished stone floor.
17 pigeons – I bought Wendy house and placed it in the garden…
I wonder what’s next.
By the way I always feel it is funnier when pigeons poop on someone else than when they poop on me! Strange eh? :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

Mike
Mike...I agree with you to a point, but only that birds should be in a cage while no one is at home, because there is too much opportunity for them to get hurt.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 pigeon – I let him fly in the lounge.
4 pigeons – left them empty entrance hall of the house with varnished stone floor.
17 pigeons – I bought Wendy house and placed it in the garden…
I wonder what’s next.
By the way I always feel it is funnier when pigeons poop on someone else than when they poop on me! Strange eh? :)
Funny I feel that same way...poop is always better when someone else has to deal with it!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Right now, I have my Uzbek in the house and his little cage. I'm training him to perch on top of his cage and I built a poop catcher that I put newspaper on and remove when dirty.

As circled above......I gues you just have to deal with it, part of having them in the house.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Actually, you have found an effective solution - set up their habitat so they have comfortable perches over easy-to-clean poop areas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Uh, okay, I don't have any pigeons yet but I'm planning to get some, so let me ask you guys; how many times does a pigeon poop daily? I'm thinking of giving them their own room, I'd like to know what I'm up against.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts