Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best breed for me? :confused: I am new to pigeons, and would like to get a couple. I have chickens, and need something that won't cause a problem with them, or vicea versa. How old do I need to get them? Do I need a brooder box? (like you use for chicks) Can I feed them birdfood? I'm a TOTAL newbie! Any help would be appreciated! :D

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Chickens and Pigeons don't go well together...best not to be housed together. Chickens are quite aggressive and may hurt the Pigeons plus they can share some of the same illnesses...parasites, etc. Nearly all Pigeons carry canker and Chickens can get it too.

For years, my Pigeon and Chickens slept in the same structure and did have the opportunity to share a water source. The chickens were frequently ill. As soon as I separated them, the Chickens' health greatly improved. The Chickens I had at that time were older birds and not aggressive toward the Pigeons. The Chickens I have now do not want Pigeons any where near them.
Two summers ago a feral Pigeon couple nested in the Chicken coop and those hens of mine were always after them....chasing them off their nest and making their life miserable.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Charis you hit it on the Head. My Grandfathers biggest problem, with his Pigeons was the Chickens Beating the..,.. out of them, when they landed in the Chicken yard when he fed them Dave

·
Registered
857 Posts
The best breed to get depends on what you like.
I have kept 20 some breeds of pigeons. My favorite by far are colored, racing homers followed at a distance by Birmingham rollers.
Homing pigeons are generally healthy, easy to keep, prodigious breeders and the champion flyers of the pigeon world.
Keith

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
The first question to ask is whether you want a flying breed or show breed. If you want flying breed I recommend homers and Birmingham rollers. Homers always amaze me. They make you feel in awe of what they can do. Rollers are fascinating birds that can roll backward in the sky. If you want show breed I recommend you attend some pigeon show that shows different breeds. You can also check the many different breeds here: http://pigeonracing.homestead.com/pigeon_breeds.html. I particularly like to have Old German Owl, helmet, ASR, Saddle homers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts