Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am from the city of Toronto, and found an injured baby pigeon on my porch. It cannot fly, and it leg appears to be contorted in a very weird way. It's beak is also very swollen, and he does appear to be wheezing. I have tried to call multiple wildlife centres in the area, however none are available at the moment. I have placed him in an old dog carrier outside, as my folks will not allow the pigeon inside, wrapped in a thick blanket. The nearest Wildlife centre cannot come and get him until tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on what I can do to make him comfortable until then? I'll include some images of his beak, and if you need any images on his leg, I can try my best to get a photo. Thank you all so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
901 Posts
The beak looks normal to me. The bird is very young, maybe three weeks old. Give the bird some food and water. Fresh or thawed-from-frozen peas would be good.

Some wildlife rehabs euthanize feral pigeons that aren't releasable even though there are people who would happily give the bird a home as a pet. It might be better for the bird, for you to post on Palomacy's Facebook page for people in your area who adopt and care for pigeons, rather than waiting for the wildlife center.

Join Palomacy’s Facebook Group
Need help with a pet or rescued pigeon or dove? Please join our Palomacy Facebook Group and post your photos, questions & location to find support from fellow pigeon & dove rescuers & adopters. (Note: We are against the breeding and use of birds, whether for racing, meat, show, “release”, etc. We are a rescue & adoption community!)
Palomacy Facebook page

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Please don't hand him over to Wildlife rescue, pigeons are not considered wildlife and they will probably euthanize him.

Get a bag of frozen peas, defrost in warm water. Put baby on your lap, open his beak and put one pea deep inside over the tongue. He will swallow and then feed the next one. He will need 90 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 30 each.

Sounds like he have a bit of splayed leg. Please ask your parents if you can bring him inside. They don't carry diseases. No need to wrap him up like that. Just line the bottom of the cage with a soft blanket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts