Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ill try to put as much information regarding this pigeon as possible, the most relevant information will be near the bottom, so if you want to skip the story behind him, skip down.

Earlier this week, Sunday, I believe, i started poking around in the fairly unused shed in the backyard, of which the door is usually open. To my surprise, I found two baby pigeons on the ground peeping, and flapping and walking around, after some investigation i found a nest in the corner on top of a high shelf, i put the pigeons back and went about my day.

At this point i decided to keep them in my thoughts and check on them once or twice a day, which I did.

A day or two later i returned to the shed in the morning to find one pigeon on the ground and the other missing entirely! I hoped that he just flew off on his own, and as a precaution, put a foam mattress on the floor near the nest to help cushion the fall if the remaining one fell again, I also resolved to check much more frequently, hourly, if I could, which i did, each time ensuring that the pigeon was safe in his nest and flapping and walking around, which he was.I also caught sight of the mother feeding it at one point, which was encouraging.

I also caught a cat lurking around the shed a couple of times, which might have been the fate of the other poor pigeon, so i ensured that i shooed him whenever i saw him

Fast forward to today, I woke up and went to check on the baby like I have been, he was flapping and chirping as usual, and i checked again every couple of hours to find the same result however, at noon (about an hour ago) i found him missing from his nest and nowhere in sght, after moving some stuff around i heard a less than enthusiastic chirp, and found him under the foam mattress, since a corner of it was flipped up, so i speculate that he fell down and took refugeunderthe upturned corner.

After closer inspection he was very quiet, very still,and kept his eyes closed. Though he was able to flex his neck and wings and legs, so i presume that he isnt paralyzed in any way. When i placed him on the workbench,however, hetucked in one leg and tipped over, and would not use that leg to right himself, so i think that he injured his leg. I brought him inside the house to get a closer look at him, and to take a couple of pictures, he didnt have any obvious swelling or breaks, but again, he remained very quiet and very still, which was not the norm for this little bird.

I have put him back in his nest, but i am unsure if i should take care of him myself in the safety of my home since he doesnt even seem capable of sitting upright in his nest right now, he also appears hungry since he keeps flexing his neck and opening his mouth.

What should I do? I am very worried for the little guy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would attach pictures but I do not know how to attach them from this Ipad, since im having computer troubles right now, i cant post from there.

Also, my location is

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Zip code 00926

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went out to check on him again to find him sprawled out in his nest with his feet in the air, please someone respond! i dont think that his mother has been in to feed him yet i really want to take him in and take care of him, i need some advice, though!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Bring the bird inside, and get it warm. If you have a heating pad you can put it on low, and put a towel over it, and put the bird on that. A hot water bottle will work, as well - or a sock with uncooked rice in it that has been warmed up. Don't attempt to feed or water the baby until it is warm and stable.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
There could be a number of things going on with this baby, but let's just start with the basics.

Was it upside down when you found it this last time?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So ive got a box, I got a sock, out rice in it, knotted it, tossed the sock with rice into the microwave for 30 seconds, put it into the box, put a blanket over it, and then laid the bird on that since he refuses to not keep his legs stretched

I also put a blanket over the box

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There could be a number of things going on with this baby, but let's just start with the basics.

Was it upside down when you found it this last time?
It was on its side with its legs pointing upwards. I guess i could call it upside down

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Thank you for caring for these babies!

I'm sorry the other baby disappeared -- you might still be able to find it if you look some more, but as you say, a cat might have gotten it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for caring for these babies!

I'm sorry the other baby disappeared -- you might still be able to find it if you look some more, but as you say, a cat might have gotten it.
Not a problem, ive always loved birds, and any kind of baby animal has always had a place in my heart.

Anyway, according to that post, i think this baby is dehydrated since when i pinch the skin it stays all bunched up and "tented" as the post describes, so should i go for the pedialyte or the other rehydrating solution?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
At that age, you should be able to hand feed it defrosted peas -- you might want to get the smallest ones you can find... something called "baby peas" or something like that.

I'll find you the link on how to hand feed....

The leg problems might be a number of things, but we won't be able to tell anything until the bird is more stable. Is it responding to you at all?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At that age, you should be able to hand feed it defrosted peas -- you might want to get the smallest ones you can find... something called "baby peas" or something like that.

I'll find you the link on how to hand feed....

The leg problems might be a number of things, but we won't be able to tell anything until the bird is more stable. Is it responding to you at all?

The bird just started throwing up a yellow substance.

also yes, the bird responds to my touch and chirps on occasion

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, what does the yellow substance look and smell like?
If i had to describe the appearance, itd look a lot like dijon mustard, i cant really smell it, though. Just gives off a sort of dank "birdy" smell, not sure if thatsnot just because the bord was laying there, though

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If i had to describe the appearance, itd look a lot like dijon mustard, i cant really smell it, though. Just gives off a sort of dank "birdy" smell, not sure if thatsnot just because the bord was laying there, though
To clarify, the vomit is sort of thick yellowy substance with black speckles in it

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
So it doesn't smell too bad ... that's a good sign.

Get a flashlight, and gently open the bird's beak. Shine the light down inside and take a look at the mouth and the throat ... you're looking to see if there's any sign of yellow or white growths in there....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts