Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi - i feed the garden birds on the 6' x 4' flat concrete roof of my coal bunker that is directly under the window sill of my kitchen window.

4 days ago i found a pigeon huddled in the corner - it has a blue ring on either leg.

i tried to catch it but it flew about 6' onto the boiler house - then about 20' & perched on top of my yard gate post (7')

i checked during the night & it was still there however in the morning it had returned to the same spot in the corner.

i finally caught it but noticed it had been injured on the back of the neck - the wound is not deep but the feathers are missing - i've applied savlon cream.

i made a small cage using part of a bin liner plastic bin - it's eating & drinking ok.

i put it out when i feed the other birds (2/day) & it feeds fine with the other pigeons however it has made no attempt to fly although it does stretch its wings.

the cage i built is about 18" x 12" x 12" but i think something bigger is required.

can someone please advise on this & other - i would be keeping it on top of the coal bunker but i have concerns regarding cats & also heat/bedding requirements.

when the birds are fed i return it to the cage but bring it in at nights

cheers

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for caring for the lost & injured domestic bird. He is not going anywhere, and does need your care. It is not flying due to condition of health and may have been starved and needs to gain weight. This pigeon is used to being housed and fed and protected from the weather/predators.

Is there any kind of identification numbers and letters on the band? Is the bird eating well?

Please do not release bird, keep contained for now, since it cannot fly it is vulnerable to hawk attack and should be returned to owner, if possible. You can use a cat or dog carrier or crate for now. The bird should be able to move around and stretch its wings inside the cage. Continue t keep cage or crate in safe location where predators cannot get to it.

If the bird was predator caught it needs an oral antibiotic.

Here is UK link with some resources, not sure if there is a rescue in your area: http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/rescuecentres.htm

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Is there any kind of identification numbers and letters on the band? Is the bird eating well?
[/url]
thanks for your reply/links - it's eating well & there is numbers on the ring - unfortunately no rescue ctrs here in N Ire

the box/cage i made is like a small cat carrier but not enough room to comfortably stretch his wings

my wife is not keen on keeping it inside except late at night - we have 3 huskies one of which is a dedicated predator particularly regarding birds..

we have a large guinea pig cage but it's not weather proof.

was thinking of making a wooden box (for outside) say roughly 3'x2'x2' with mesh front & a door to drop down at night - would it need a perch?

also i'm presently using a few paper towels for bedding & mixed corn for food.

cheers

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your response.

Are there just numbers on the ring, any club info at all?

Wild bird food will do-with just a little corn. If you can get a pigeon mix that would be even better.

If you are looking for temp housing, pigeons prefer being way up high, any enclosure should be off the ground and weather and predator proofed-solid floor, no openings larger then 1/2 " and hardware cloth for openings, not chicken wire. . Pigeons prefer flat perches. Pigeons thrive on sunshine and good air circulation.

Perhaps you can find a local flyer or fancier to take the bird, if owner can't be found. Pigeons thrive with other pigeons.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
As others have said, thank you for helping the poor bird! Glad to hear he is eating. He may need antibiotics as suggested...amoxicillin for example, or he could die from infection. Is there a way you could please post a photo? If there are numbers on the bands can you read them? A large cage would be fine to protect him as long as predators can't get in. He may be a lost pet or racer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks guys - after making local inquiries i found a guy (an ex keeper) who, using the ring number was able to contact the club that is close to me (15 mile).

he examined the bird (female) & dismissed the neck wound as reasonably insignificant but suggested it was emaciated as the keel bone was extremely prominent.

the club secretary asked if i could provide my phone numbers & i did - the owner texted this evening, thanked me & said he would collect at my convenience.

however i'm now in a dilemma as my mates in the bar this evening said it is more than lightly to be killed??

she's in the bathroom (heated) now & still looks ok although as already mentioned makes no attempt to fly when i temporarily release her 2/day to feed with the garden birds.

ps - food & water is also placed in her cage - will post a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Please consider just keeping the bird. Ask the owner if that is ok as you obviously care a lot about this pigeon and have a cage and would like to keep him as a pet because you are now attached to him. I would hate to hear that he has been killed. A lot of people unfortunately when birds are injured just "cull" them so I hope you will just let him know you wish to keep the bird...or that it flew off.. Or whatever you need to say to hang onto the bird.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Please consider just keeping the bird......
hi - my main concern is whether or not she'll fly again? - if she was just able to flap about the garden she wouldn't last 30 sec as one of my female huskies would kill her 100% sure.

in addition there are also 3 feral cats that prowl the area

i'll contact the owner & explain the situation - if he takes the trouble to come & collect the bird then i assume that might be a good sign...??

i'm in a real quandary.

cheers

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
The only reason she can only flap and can't fly is because she is emaciated and was starving. She has to get the weight back on to fly. Make sure she has access to seed 24/7.

I would ask the owner, what he intends to do with the bird?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Please don't surrender the bird to the owner because obviously he is emaciated and was not well cared for. He cannot fly as has been said because he is starving.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i wouldn't surrender the bird if he was going to kill it.

just let her out to feed with the other garden birds however i've now noticed she's limping badly & holding up her leg a lot when standing - when she does place her foot down the back toe is raised high

on thinking, she might have had a slight limp before

after feeding she has returned to her cage & is lying down - she pecked me when i tried to move her for a clean out - forgot to do it when she was feeding.

i'm hoping it's a good sign that she makes her way to feed with the other birds??

need to find someone else to have a look at her asap

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Letting her out to feed with the others isn't safe. She may all of a sudden be able to fly, and take off to where you can't reach her. Also hawks are a danger.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Please give her her own bowl of seed, so she can eat anytime she needs to and gain back the weight she lost. The reason she is limping may be due to lack of minerals, calcium/D3.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
If it turns out she can't walk well or fly she is not releasable and needs to be adopted as a pet because otherwise she could be predator chow. Our first bird was a nonreleasable feral who was nearly decapitated and had a broken wing. She could flap across the room but could not fly after she recovered but was a wonderful pet who lived a happy life. Disabled should not mean death.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If indeed the bird will never be able to fly well again, most keepers will have no use for them. Why would they? They are not keeping birds because they are pets, that they want to nurture and make allowances for. They are keeping birds for one reason, and a non flying bird won't fit in. Someone may be able to give it a home who doesn't need a flying bird. I would find out first what he was going to do with the bird, and ask if I could have it. You could then try and find it a home.
Some disabilities are reason to euthanize, but many are not. All depends on what kind of quality of life the bird would have if living with the disability. Sometimes kinder to just euthanize. But a non flying bird can still have a quality of life in the right situation. The problem is that it depends on that situation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
guys i don't mind keeping the bird if she's disabled - however i'm not sure from a practical point of view how i would do it - say for example if she can't fly again what type of setup would i need?

also someone mentioned not releasing her to feed with the other birds in case she flies & i can't get her back - how would i know if she can fly again if i don't do that?

in any case if she can fly again is she lightly to fly away or return to me?

sorry but i know absolutely nothing about pigeons.

btw is there anything special i could give her to boost her nourishment - cider vinegar noted.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Even if she suddenly gets her wings back, she may fly away, but still be unwell. Besides, she is domestic and not feral, so won't last on her own. You can figure out if she can fly by letting her free inside. Maybe you have a room you could let her out in? Maybe when she gets stronger, she will try to fly.
If she flies, she may come back, or try to go home. who knows? If she tries to go home, she may get lost.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
The bird is not a feral, needs help, so would put her inside and care for her until she recovers then keep her and get a flight cage and maybe a mate or or find her a home with someone with an aviary or loft. If she cannot fly well she is at risk of getting lost or taken by predators. Thank you for helping her.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
thanks again for your help - sorry for being a nuisance but i need some further specific advice.

i'll list my questions as follows:-

1) i feed the garden birds 9.00 am & 4.30 pm - during these times i put her out to feed with them - should i continue to do this?

2) the cage i made (as a matter of emergency) is quite small & although safe is not big enough for her to stretch her wings & wander a little - it would accommodate a cat for transportation to a vet etc - what size of a cage/box would i need? - please also see 4) below.

3) as i've mentioned my wife although concerned about the bird would not be happy about keeping a large cage inside the house - i presently keep it outside during the day & bring it in at night
night temps = about 2 C & day = about 11 C

4) i really need to know what to build in terms of size etc - for example i have a plastic box about 30"x14" x 14" that i could mesh at the front - would this size be ok & would i need anything else?

i would really appreciate if someone could suggest an overall strategy particularly for "permanent/temporary" outdoors situation - however it's essential that i know the sizes required.

obviously if she is probably just going to fly away i would want to use the bits & pieces of timber & other items i have lying about the yard.

cheers

1 - 20 of 101 Posts