Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’ve come across a juvenile wood pigeon today on the side of the road.
It’s wing seems to be injured and I’ve placed it in a box with a towel surrounding it for comfort.
I have no idea how I can help the poor thing! I’ve tried calling my local vets but due to it being a weekend they’re closed until Monday and I want to make sure he makes it by then

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Can you post a photo? He might still be too young to be able to eat by himself. What do the droppings look like? If green and creamy, then he is producing starvation droppings. You can first hydrate him by dipping the tip of the beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. Do this a couple of times until he drinks. If he is not eating, you can handfeed him defrosted green peas. Just gently open the beak, put one pea deep inside over the tongue and let him swallow. Feed him at least 30 to 40 peas 3 times a day. Are you sure the vet won't euthanize him? Just ask the vet to wrap the wing, and let the pigeon recover at your home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can’t get a clear picture of it unfortunately as he seems stressed 😫 all he seems comfortable just staying in the dark under the towel. Ill attach a similar image of what he looks I found online.
I’ve tried feeding him peas but everytime I get near he either moved or snaps at me,
I’ve tried to get in contact with all the vets around me and they’re closed, I’m not sure what to do, I really want to make sure I save him
Thank you so so much for the advice

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
If he is that age, then he is way too young to eat by himself. To feed him peas: Put him on your lap facing to the right if you are righthanded. Reach with your lefthand over his body and head. Open the beak with those fingers. Have the pea ready in your righthand and put inside the beak. If he spits it out, you need to out the pea deeper inside the beak. Peas have a lot of moisture, so if he is not drinking then it's ok.

He will be stressed and scared. Just be firm and try your best. Feeding peas is actually easy when you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I’m going to take him first thing tomorrow morning, and thankfully he ate something today which is a good sign 🙏🏻 I just hope he can push through one more day until he gets professional help,
I can’t thank you enough for the help

·
Registered
52 Posts
Remember at that age even peas might not help and that is a wood pigeon nest time feed him. Baby parrot formula that has all the nutrients a baby parrot pigeon or dove needs I have raised many pigeons from eggs off that it works very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts