Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my wild bird came to me and had a severely broken leg. Last week the splint finally came off and the leg has healed but is weak and she is only using it as a crutch, not much weight bearing and not gripping with her toes yet. I am doing physio with her and vet feels she may still get proper use of the leg but free flying again is unlikely.
She has been in a cat carrier indoors for 5 weeks and will be ready for a more permanent home soon. I still can't work out how best to house her. She has become quite timid and doesn't like even when the windows are open in her room so I don't want her permanently outside.
I have looked at a large parrot cage on wheels to allow her to be taken outside while I'm with her and gradually give her more time outdoors but I do know an open cage is unusual for pigeons. I planned to put a roosting box and flat perches in the cage.
I was hoping to find some local pigeon folk to talk to but they have not returned my calls. I am concerned about the quality of her life as a lone bird and if I don't create the right home for her.
I have considered trying to buy a second bird but I realise they may not like each other anyway and I don't want to breed. I had hoped to find her a home with other birds but it looks like she's stuck with me. We have a good relationship and spend lots of time together but is it possible for her to have a happy life without a flock?
I also have two senior Maltese dogs who will walk around the house. The cage I'm considering is on a stand hip height off the ground and goes to around 6ft tall so too high for them to bother her but I worry she will see them and become distressed. She has become used to the sound of their pattering on the wooden floors and is no longer alarmed, is it possible she will learn not to be afraid of them? They are good dogs and won't hassle her.
Advice welcomed.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
A parrot cage is more high than wide. Pigeons need more wide than high. The metal dog crates are nice for them, and come in different sizes. You can add a shelf to it. The larger the better. He would need a couple of hours a day out of cage time to exercise and interact. A pigeon is happier with another pigeon as a companion. Put it up on a table where the dogs won't be right in his face.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would have two, one for outside for nice days when you are home to get some air and sun, and another for inside. A large rabbit cage can work also, ones with the plastic tub bottom for inside, outdoors a small chicken run or coop or even a rabbit hutch type enclosure, just make sure the outside one does not have bars that are far apart , wire mesh is safer in case a critter comes by to reach their claws in, and also so it won't get his head stuck if he can get his head between any cage bars, also look at ferret cages and such and you can do some customzing to fit the pigeons needs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've found a metal chicken coop flat-pack I can use as an aviary but she'll have to be outside only. I tried letting her have a fly in a room on the advice of a local bird expert. It was very difficult to get her back in the cage, luckily I had a friend over as I wouldn't have managed it alone.
The coop I'm looking to buy has aluminium sides, roof and back and mesh at the front with aluminium on the bottom 2/3. I can put mesh underneath and pop rivet that to the outsides so she'll be completely safe from predators and protected from wind and rain.
I finally got a contact for local pigeon racing people, they won't sell birds to be used as companion birds only and my bird can't free fly due to her leg. If I'm ever able to find a companion bird for her I'll happily take it but I don't know when that will be.
Are there any other breed of bird - that might be more accessible - that could at least be some company for her even if they don't really bond? Even some little quails to be in the space but not flying around in her zones?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It's easy to catch a pigeon to go back in the cage, if you darken the room. Then you just go over and pick up the bird. They don't see well in the dark and won't usually try to fly. Either pull shades, or let her out in the evening when it's starting to get dark.
Other breeds of birds wouldn't be suitable companions for her. Another pigeon will probably come along. Keeping her locked up outside in an enclosure by herself isn't much of a life.
If using a chicken coop, you need to make sure that it isn't chicken wire used on the yard, or front. Predators can get in through that. And rodents can get in. Mice will make her very sick, and rats will kill her. It should be hardware cloth with opening of 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
That's ok while she's in the house but what I meant is catching her from the outside cage to bring into the house will be difficult. I'll do the best I can but with a bad leg the vet and bird expert say no free flying. People don't sell pet pigeons here. I'm going to ask the bird lady if she can find a home for her with another pigeon, pigeon racing people don't want her as she's 'feral'. I don't know what else I can do.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Oh. I hope she can find her a home then. Sometime the racers will have a bird that they don't want who has been injured and can't race. Just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.