Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an injured bird from a hawk. The wounds are in the back and chest but luckily the wing or lung appears not damaged. This happened on Thursday so now we are in the healing process. I put antibiotic cream on the wounds but they are punctured wounds and seem deep. I kept him isolated the first 24 hours but his eating and drinking were good so I put him back in the loft with his mate. He is walking a little stiff and the left wing droops just a little but he can fly well and holds his own with the other cocks. All in all he is very lucky. He escaped by flying into the garage where my dog was. The lab scared the hawk away and got my attention. So now my questions are:
1 I put cream on the wounds twice daily, is this OK?
2 How long does it take for a bird to heal from wounds?
3 Is keeping him in the loft a good idea?
4 Is there anything else I can do to help him?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any antibiotics for the birds or some left overs for your self?
Good idea and yes I gave him antibiotics today, but I can give my birds human left overs? Since I hate wasteing anything and I do throw away old drugs I have to ask.

I move My hurt bird and his mate back into the house. He still has some swelling but is eating, drinking, bathing, flying, and struting like the cock that he is.

Thank you for your help any any other info ya'll may have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.