Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I found this dove on my lawn last week. It couldn't walk on one leg and was missing lots of feathers on one wing and tail feathers. It was just falling all over the place. There are no rescues near me and the SSPCA would just kill it. I looked at its wing and couldn't figure out it the feathers were chewed out or plucked
I brought it in and put it in a dog cage assuming it would die over night. It's droppings were green and very watery. For the first few days there was heavy breathing but I think maybe it was scared?
But here we are a week later. It can stand on the leg and can get from the floor to the top of the box.
I don't know if it can fly. When it lifts it's wings that wing has very few feathers except long ones on the bottom and it is sitting a bit lower than the other one. But then the whole bird is a bit lopsided. The feathers looked chewed/plucked to the bone but I don't really know what I'm looking at/for

Any advice please? I am feeding wild bird seed and saucer of water. Today it was more active and would probably like out. But I want to make sure it can fly. There is at least one sparrowhawk fledgling about
thank you :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I'm surprised he survived without antibiotics. Cat saliva is deadly for birds. He needs a longer period to recover, although the feathers might never regrow. He probably will try to fly, but won't be any good at it and will be easy prey for any predator.

Are there any smell to the wound? I suggest keeping him for longer to see if the feathers regrow. If they do, let him practise flying in a room (just close the curtains) before releasing. Make sure he is able to take off from the floor. If the feathers don't regrow, either provide him with a permanent home or get him adopted by someone with an aviary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm surprised he survived without antibiotics. Cat saliva is deadly for birds. He needs a longer period to recover, although the feathers might never regrow. He probably will try to fly, but won't be any good at it and will be easy prey for any predator.

Are there any smell to the wound? I suggest keeping him for longer to see if the feathers regrow. If they do, let him practise flying in a room (just close the curtains) before releasing. Make sure he is able to take off from the floor. If the feathers don't regrow, either provide him with a permanent home or get him adopted by someone with an aviary.
Thank you for replying. I don't think it was a cat. There is only one feral in the vicinity but there are many sparrow hawks and stoats.
There isn't really a wound as such. No smell. No blood just sort of raw stumps where the feathers would be.
Do you know how long feathers take to re grow? thank you

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I know tailfeathers takes about a month to regrow fully. Not sure about the long wingfeathers unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
He is looking good. I hope the feathers regrow. If not, I'm sure you will take good care of him. Do you have a mirror in the cage for him? They love to watch their own reflection and this will help him feel less lonely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will get a mirror for him that's a great idea. He seems to eat all the sunflower seeds out of the mix. Is that ok? or should I ration him! thanks

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Don't fill up again when the sunflower seeds are gone. He will continue eating the other seeds. They also love hemp and red sorghum seeds. See what small seeds you can get from a petshop and mix your own batch. Try to get a general vitamin supplement for pigeons or birds and give acc to instructions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts