Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me what to do? My male ringneckdove flew right into the window and got a cut on his forehead.. it's not bleeding that much and it doesn't seems to bother him eather but.. should I be worried?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm sorry no one has responded yet. Please keep him quiet, you can cover his cage mostly and keep it in a quiet room. Go ahead and put a heating pad on low with a towel over it in there for him, as the heat will help since he is stressed. Likely he will be fine. Is there any blood coming from his nostrils? Does he seem overly stressed now a few hours later? I would just keep him quiet and calm for the rest of the day and keep a close eye on him. I know how worrisome it can be, I had a cockatiel do it awhile back and I don't know who was more upset, her or me! But I'm sure he will be fine. Let us know how he is and if anything changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your advice! He seems to be ok, he is calm and alert and there is no blood from his nostrils. I bought him yesterday so everything is new for him (environment/people etc). He is so scared, shy and shaky, but thats understandable. He flew into the kitchen when I was trying to handfeed him and the next I heard was a loud bang.. and well you know the rest. At first he was a little dizzy and I guess the poor thing had one hell of a headache but later he seemed fine and when I checked his forehead, he wasnt bleeding that much but one could clearly see that the cut.. a really nasty cut.. So I put him in his cage and covered it and he seemed to be ok.. and I will keep a close eye on him. Is there anything else I could do to ease his pain or so?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Oh good, it sounds like he is fine. Keep an eye on him for a few days and keep him in his cage until he is settled in. I would give him a week to settle in and get used to his new surroundings before handling him, as this will help him feel safer. Try raw, unsalted peanuts as a treat, or safflower seeds (not sunflower seeds). You can usually find safflower at most pet shops. Then when it is time to handle him, maybe take him into a room with a closing door, and cover the windows. I would leave his cage in the room and open the door, and let him come out on his own, which will leave less risk of a scared flight. He should figure out the room very quickly and not bang into any more walls or windows after a bit. :D It will be important to let him fly a little while each day, so it'll be much easier once he is used to the place. Have fun!

·
Registered
240 Posts
That happened to Noddy once, only he flew into a brick wall, he was stunned and dazed and it was a terrifying experience but he recovered from it. Now he flies backwards, (he's blind), I guess he learnt not to fly blindly!

Hope your bird's doing fine by now, I can understand it's a very scary thing to go through!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys! Sorry for the slow reply, been busy with work and some other stuff. He seems fine now.. has a little scar on his forehead but its better than some other injury. I have fed him good and he seems less shy/scared but he is still very scared of my arms/hands.. Could it be that my arms/hands remind him of snakes? How can I make him more comfortable with my arms/hands? I have tried to feed him from my hand but as I said he doesnt like that at all so i abandoned that plan.. he freaks out when Im close with my arms..

·
Registered
62 Posts
About the hands and arms, I'd just say take it very, very slow. It can take a long time for a bird to get used to the sight of something, perhaps particularly something moving about. I found that my bird grew calmer from watching me work (I'm an artist, non-toxic materials). If the bird's cage is near where he can just watch you, it may help him get used to you.

I'd guess it took my dove a good two years to feel really comfortable with my hands. Now that he's been with me nearly four years, he likes to sit in my left hand till my arm goes numb, while I gently stroke his back with my right hand! But, sitting in my right hand and being petted with my left still upsets him considerably... Dwelling near the bottom of the food chain makes one extra cautious.

Of course, birds are individuals, and there's no guessing how 'tame' a particular bird may become. I was prepared to love him from afar evermore, if need be!

I'm glad your bird is recovering from his accident. All the best to you both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts