Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...........I have been rehabbing a feral that was shot by a BB Gun and had a wing injury and was unable to fly for the past month. The bird is progressing very well and hopefully will be flying again soon.

Anyhow........every morning I put this bird in his pet carrier out on my table on the back patio. Within a few minutes of him being out there he starts Oohing and Oohing calling for his family that roosts up on the roof. Every day.......all day long his mate and I assume his baby come and stay with him for the day. The most amazing thing is that the injured bird in the cage flings his seed out of his dish onto the table to feed his family. This has been going on now for over 3 weeks. They are so smart and loving.......they never cease to amaze me.

Excuse the quality of the pictures, they were taken through the glass patio door.

Nothing will make me happier than when this bird is fully recovered and is able to fly to be able to put him out in the morning with the cage door opened and let him rejoin his devoted family.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Louise, that really shows what amazing little creatures pigeons can be :)

Wonderful thing to behold, I think.

Hope your patient is soon fit and able to rejoin the clan.

John

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
I sure hope he can fly again and be reunited with his little family.
Great pictures. Thank you for posting them.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had this bird to the Vet yesterday for a re-evaluation. Great News!!!......Dr Hauck feels there is absolutely no reason that this bird should not be able to fly again. The shoulder and wing are completely healed and thankfully the only damage was soft tissue damage.

He is using the wing, but not enough to maintain flight. I have been instructed to hold him by his legs and force him to exercise/use that wing, by moving him up and down. I need to do this atleast times a day for about a week and then turn him loose in a room and chase him back and forth and force him to fly.

Dr Hauck feels that once the wing is strenghtened I should be able to release him.

I can't wait to be able to return him to his family who have been so loyal and vigilate with him every day for so long now.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
JUST absolutely SUPER NEWS, Louise!!

I, too, hope you can get some "release" pictures!!

Won't be long now before a very happy family reunion!!

WONDERFUL JOB and special KUDOS to Dr. Hauck!!

Love and Hugs

Shi :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
The sad point to the story

I have clients who are in the hospital dying and their family will only visit them when it is convenient or when the end is near. sad that animals seem to care more about their kind than we do ours.:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.