Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've just come across your site, this morning I found a wounded pigeon outside our apartment building that was unable to fly, or even really move. When I tried to pick it up, it was able to flap its wings and move away, but not very far or fast. At rest, it is laying on it's right side, and I was able to see that the feathers on that side are damaged, or at least partially removed. No blood that I can see though.

My wife and I brought the pigeon inside, and placed it on our porch due to our cat and dog. But that is the extent of our knowledge and capabilities. I've seen the resources here for pigeons matilda's pigeon angels but am wondering/hoping that someone can help us with more information before we'd have a chance to contact these people.

We are located in Capitol Hill, near I-5.
Happy to provide more information as necessary.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping this bird.

Here are the first basic life saving steps to take, follow these first (except the heating pad, just keep in a warm location: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f108/basic-steps-to-saving-the-life-of-a-pigeon-or-dove-8822.html

The bird may be in shock, as this is either predator caught bird, or blunt trauma due to an accident/and or sick, and the bird may be starved. Please find a quiet area subdued light and enclose in a cage or cat carrier. Provide clean drinking water and wild bird seed.

Check the wound/trauma area where feathers are missing or messed up and see if there is actually any openings/cuts in the skin, which will need to be cleaned. If so the bird will need antibiotics.

Check keel/breast bone and feel it to see if it is sharp. That may indicate starvation.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Thank you for rescuing the poor bird. How us he doing? Our beloved Phoebe was a rescued feral,who was severely injured. She recovered and was our love for eight years..please let us know how the birdie is doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the tips and interest, Skyeking and cwebster! My wife was able to put her into our cat carrier with some food and towels and take her to a shelter/rehab place nearby. The people were hopeful that she'd make a full recovery, and they'll let us know as soon as they have more information. When she was dropped off, she was able to stand on her own legs and move around again and was looking a lot more alert.

We're not able to take care of it afterwards, but were happy to be able to help. With all the dogs in our building (ours included) she probably wouldn't have lasted long where we found her.

Thanks again for the tips and being such a great resource!

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Thanks again for helping the bird. Please check with the rehab place to make sure they are helping him. Some don't care about pigeons and just euthanize them. If they know you are interested in his welfare hopefully they will try hard to fix him up. Maybe if he is not releasable you might consider posting an adoption forum ad here. Our rescued feral was not releasable but she was a happy wonderful cherished pet for eight years. We adopted her because the local wildlife rescue merely euthanizes pigeons and most other birds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No Puget sound rescue groups save pigeons. They're dinner for raptors.

Wish I would have seen this... They feed pigeons to raptors here at all rehab facilities. None are a "good fit for the wild" I have two in my studio recuperating together.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree. I tried to help one once several years ago, but before I could take the poor pigeon in it died. (It had nearly been torn apart in the belly area by a hawk). When I rescued my two babies I have now, I called the place that takes in birds, as I am from the area in question, and it was only because of a kind person who volunteered there who told me that if I brought in my birds they would be fed LIVE to birds of prey who were being rehabbed. Our area animal wildlife centers are not kind to pigeons.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Please use this vet next time you find injured pigeons in Seattle

Www.exoclinic.com

Avian and Exotic Clinic Kirkland
425-821-6165

They did more good than harm to my pigeon with a serious wing break. I wouldn't have culled the bird and learned a lot from the stressful expensive experience about how to network with pigeon lovers and vets or pharmacuetical providers in the future to safely see an animal given life as an exo pet instead of as dinner, if no longer a fit for the wild. They're helpful do their best and don't dismiss pigeons. If you care. Dr. Boutette and Holly Carter and mostly Charis on this website were of incredible experience I thank Charis for all of her expertise and constant communication. She helped me save another one.
Exoclinic just saved my neighbor's obsession from string wrap injury.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts