Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live next to a big open square with a lot of pigeons. I feed the pigeons with a racing mix every day from my window, whenever I notice pigeons with string foot I'll catch them and cut the string.

A few days ago a young pigeon with a very bad limp appeared at the window, the leg seemed broken and it was struggling to compete for food. I managed to catch them today and brought them inside for a better look. It seems the leg is very badly infected, the skin is green and swollen. I administed doxycycline (I had some in the fridge from before my cockatiel passed away) and put the pigeon on a towel in a plastic box in my bath with the shower curtain drawn and light off. I've left food and water.

The DSPCA is closed for the day so I'll have to ring again tomorrow. Is there anything else I can do to make them more comfortable? They seem stressed and haven't moved from the position I left them in (on their side in the box).

I'm located in Dublin Ireland.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Poor baby. For that infection he will need an amoxycillin based antibiotic. Are you sure they won't euthanize? An avian vet is another option.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts