Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I joined today after googling "how long do a dove's tail feathers take to regrow?" I live in Jos, Nigeria and on the last day of school the janitor was cleaning up and a laughing dove was in the room (I was at a meeting). He tried chasing it out with his broom and ended up injuring it. When I arrived, the poor bird was literally in a pigeonhole where it was hiding.

I took it home and put it in an old cage, and there he sits for the last month. Dovey has no tail feathers at all; laughing doves have a longish tail; so his ability to balance is compromised, and presumably its ability to fly. The wing that was injured seems to have healed nicely. He eats millet and drinks and looks healthy and poops normally. I hear him hopping around in his cage now. He even coos once a day or so, and since he looked very juvenile I was happy to hear him starting.

Yesterday I caught him to examine his tail, and there are still just white nubs where it looks like feathers ought to erupt. It's been a month, so I don't understand why it's taking so long. I really try to leave him alone (he's by a window where birds often land outside looking for food) because it stresses him out so much to have a hand enter his cage, which isn't big enough-- he flaps around and ends up injuring the wrist so it bleeds.

I am willing to keep the bird if need be, but any idea when the tail will regrow, or if for some reason it won't?? any advice appreciated.

There aren't vets here who will care about a wild dove.

Here is a link to a picture of a laughing dove: http://ibc.lynxeds.com/files/pictures/Laugher.JPG

and a video of one calling, although the sound is high; the way you hear it in person is more deep-throated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_oO74q1jM

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping the bird.

The dove needs a good dove seed mix, as millet doesn't have the nutrients the bird needs.

If the tail feathers have been completely pulled out from the follicle, a new tail would regrow, if the stubs of the tail are still there, then he will not get a new tail until he molts and the tail stubs fall out/molt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for helping the bird.

The dove needs a good dove seed mix, as millet doesn't have the nutrients the bird needs.

If the tail feathers have been completely pulled out from the follicle, a new tail would regrow, if the stubs of the tail are still there, then he will not get a new tail until he molts and the tail stubs fall out/molt.
Skyeking, thanks for your advice! I guess we just have to wait and see with the tail.

As for the dove seed mix, I live in a developing country and such things are not available. I offered him raw peanuts for the oil, but I don't think he ate any. Also some dried fruit, same thing.

I can get:
Soy beans
acha (a seed with high protein, low carbs, low oil content)
guinea corn
maize/ corn
wheat
peanuts
egusi (sort of like pumpkin seeds)
Ogbono (a large, oily seed)

Wkipedia says: Laughing doves eat the fallen seeds, mainly of grasses, other vegetable matter and small ground insects such as termites and beetles.[15][16] They are fairly terrestrial, foraging on the ground in grasslands and cultivation.

Should I just offer a variety and see what he eats? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the info about the tail, that is encouraging.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Pity you are so far away, I would have taken him in. Also got one that needs a mate. You can also try to get ordinary wild bird seed at your local supermarket if they do sell that. I hope you do let him spend time out of his cage. If you don't want to handle him, just put the cage on the ground and let him come out by himself. Then after some time out you can gently shoo him back inside the cage. A mirror in the cage will also help keeping him company. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marina, I have never seen wild bird seed for sale. Feeding wild birds is just not on the radar here! Also, if I let him out-- he can fly well enough to get away, but probably not to do well; and if I let him out inside I'm afraid he'll injure himself, especially when I try to catch him. I guess I just need a larger cage. The mirror is a great idea, I think I can fix him up with that! He does see other doves out the window, too. They come to visit the gray parrot who lives in a large cage outside (he was given to us by some people leaving the country and had never been outside his cage, also he has only one eye so we can't release him).

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
A larger cage is always a better option. Let him walk around in your room, not outside (I should have mentioned that). Just close the window curtains so that he does not try to fly out and crash against the glass. If you can't get bird seed, just give him what you can for now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Marina.

Bird seed that I used to buy in the US consisted mainly of millet, guinea corn, sunflower seeds, hemp, and some others. I put a little chicken feed in because it has "vitamins added" and is supposed to have some calcium, so I figured it can't hurt. As I said, Dovey looks healthy and is as active as he can be, hopping from perch to perch or just walking on the bottom. So when he gets a dang tail back, I am hopeful that he can be released. :D

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Make sure the chicken feed has no broken corn in it, as that can get moldy and is dangerous for them to eat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to put him in a much, much larger cage today, which I got used pretty cheap! Yay! He is able to really move around.

Thanks for the tip about the corn-- it could get moldy fast, in the rainy season weather we are having. I only put a small amount of food in at a time so hopefully he eats most of it but still has a snack. :)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Yes, throw any broken seed out that the bird does not consume within an hour. Keep any seed mixes in an airtight container away from heat, humidity and rain.

·
Registered
LAUGHING DOVE
43 Posts
Hello MY Laughing dove is injured by her leg so pls tell what to do pls she is suffering

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Can you start a new thread and post a photo? Did she get injured, are the legs broken? Keep her on a soft blanket for now.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
You can go to the forums listing by clicking on the horizontal stripes on top. Scroll down to the forum "sick and injured pigeons" Click on there and then again at the top "start discussion". Are you giving him calcium and vitamins?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts