Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have an adult male Pigeon who disappeared for 10 and a half hours on September 11. I did not see exactly what happened but something startled him and he was gone. When I found him, Baby is his name, again he was on my neighbors roof but would not respond to my calls. Normally he comes when I call him. I had to climb up to get him and I saw that his left eye looked wounded. It looked at first as if it was entirely missing but upon inspection it looks like it is bloodshot and he is keeping his eyelid closed. I see he is able to open it but mainly keeps it closed. He has a hurt wing but there is no cuts on the wing. When I hold him I could tell that his wing is hurt. He has been drinking a little water, but has not eaten anything except a bite once. Today I notice that he is grooming himself but still stands in the back of his carrier/nesting box. He wont come out at all like he would normally and he keeps trying to peck when I get to close. I need help on how I can get him to eat because it is going on three days that he has not eaten, except for a bite yesterday. I live in Moreno Valley California and would really appreciate any help. I have had baby for seven years and want to help him as much as I can

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is Baby your only pigeon? It isn't safe to fly them alone, if that is what you have been doing. You can bathe the eye with a saline solution. Boil a quart of water and add to it 2 teaspoons of salt. Let cool to lukewarm and bathe the eye with a soft cloth, and any other wounds he may have. You can use an antibiotic eye ointment on the eye, like Terramycin, and on body wounds, clean them, then dab dry and cover with an antibiotic cream.

As far as feeding him, you can buy some frozen peas, defrost them and warm in warm running water. Feed them to him warm but not hot. You can give them to him 3 times a day at 30-40 peas each time. Wait till his crop empties before feeding again. Maybe 6 hours. If he was attacked by a predator then he really should be given oral antibiotics. Do you have a vet that will help you?

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding. Baby is not my only pigeon. He is however the only one I had since he was a hatchling. I fed him by hand, and because of that he is not as social with the other pigeons. I have 12 other pigeons and there are 6 that have mixed into the bunch. Baby tends to not like to be to near the other pigeons, he likes to get aggressive if they go near his carrier.

I do not have a vet that I can take him to but I would like to if I can find one if you have any recommendations I would be very appreciated. Thank you for letting me know how I can safely clean his eye and I will be getting the Terramycin. Other than his eye and his hurt wing he has no other wounds. He has been grooming himself and even stretched out one wing. I was able to get him to eat finally and he drank more water. I held the food as close to his beak as I could and he ate. He is not pecking me either anymore and lets me pet him. If I were to get him some fish mox amoxicillin would that help him get some oral antibiotics?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, as long as the Fish Mox is only Amoxicillin. Let us know if you get some so we can figure out the dose.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in Moreno Valley, California. As soon as I get the fish mox I will let you know. I am looking to see where I can buy it as well as the Terramycin. I am very grateful for your help, Baby is very special to me. Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts