Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there i Recently Found a Pigeon in the middle of the road on my way home.
Anyways as i went to pick the pigeon up he tried to flutter and hop towards the trees, ended up face planting the floor.
I picked him up and he stood happily in my hands and everything seems normal just a slow reaction time i.e eyes half open also blinking a lot. (rather strange indeed)
I got home and got a shoe box, put a towel inside so hes warm also i put him in a dark room just incase of a panic etc..
The reason i write this post is i am not sure what to look out for (signs/symptoms) as all i have is a basic knowledge like how to manually feed peas, bread balls, seeds and water incase hes not eating.
Iv not tried food yet as want to wait until the morning because i think a nights rest after whatever has happened would help. (sorry for my bad grammar)
i got 2 photos one of his face and one of his body from the top, i kept making sounds to get his eyes to open but they only opened 1/2 way then close again before i could get a pic also when his eyes was shut you can see him still blinking every few seconds. any help would be appreciated. p.s thank you for taking the time to help me with this problem and i wish you all the best for Christmas and the new year <3

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
When they’re found in the road I usually assume they’ve been hit by a car. If that’s the case, you’re looking at head trauma and possible fractures. Keep him in a dark, quite place. Check for broken bones, but he should really see a rehabber or vet.

I don’t like to give food if they’re dehydrated at all, and they’re generally dehydrated. If he’ll willingly drink, that would be great, but feeding him moist food like peas or corn. Food isn’t the priority though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put the tip 1/4 (Quarter) of his beak in the water to see if he would drink but no luck. he just sits there with his eyes still closed also he did bring his beak out of the water and move his mouth like tasting something. he did open his eyes for a second or 2 when you move the box also when you turn around you can see his head move as if to say he knows he's turning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought.. he's prob in shock from a head on collision with a car and would be better the next day. What should I look or feel for as i really don't know. thank you very much for the help/advice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update and a very sad one ? I don't know what was wrong with the pigeon as never did a diagnosis but I I woke up after a few hours sleep as I have work today and he has passed away ? (Pidgeon heaven) gonna bury him tonight

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Sorry you lost him. Thanks for trying for him. At least he didn't die out there on the road being mauled by a predator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts