Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm María and I'm 13 years old. Yesterday I picked up an injured pigeon(which I named Darry, of course) in the backyard. My aunt's dogs were fighting over it, it must have tripped somehow and they trapped it.

I quickly put it in a shoe box with a blanket as floor. It seemed pretty bad. It have an injury by the abdomen; under its right wing, that didn't bleed at all. Seems like its left wing and its right leg are both broken, and the left eye is kinda beaten. Doesn't stand up.

My parents can't afford a vet and they probably won't accept it anyway as pigeons are seen as plagues.

About one hour later I attempted to gave him some water, which it refused, but drank later on.
I also fed it with pigeon corn.
Sometimes, after drinking or eating, starts moving its head back and forth and then attempts to fly or move with the right wing.
It's currently drinking a lot.

I honestly don't think it will survive, but i'd like to try everything I can.
What can I do?

Some videos

https://www.facebook.com/100009940242108/videos/309107699430569/
https://www.facebook.com/100009940242108/videos/309146252760047/
https://www.facebook.com/100009940242108/videos/309147839426555/

Sorry for any english grammar mistake

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Thanks for helping the bird. Very pretty, but looks more like a dove than a pigeon.
With a broken leg and wing, if that be the case, than a vet is unfortunately what you need. Even when wings are set correctly, the bird can't always fly well again. Why do you think the leg is broken?
Is corn all you are giving him? Can you get a wild bird seed mix or dove mix?
Keep him where it is safe and quiet. Are there any rehabbers in your area?
You do very well with your English grammar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for helping the bird. Very pretty, but looks more like a dove than a pigeon.
With a broken leg and wing, if that be the case, than a vet is unfortunately what you need. Even when wings are set correctly, the bird can't always fly well again. Why do you think the leg is broken?
Is corn all you are giving him? Can you get a wild bird seed mix or dove mix?
Keep him where it is safe and quiet. Are there any rehabbers in your area?
You do very well with your English grammar.

Thank you very much for replying,
I thought it was broken because is weirdly twisted behind it, also doesn't seems like it can feel anything at all with it, like a dead weight. With the left one, instead, it's able to grab stuff(like my hand, when I lifted him), or crawl a bit.
Yes, unfortunately, in this moment the only thing I can allow him to eat is corn. I'll see if I can get some mix tomorrow for it.
I sadly doubt there is any rehabbers around here.
By the moment, he's sleeping.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If he was bitten by a predator, like a dog, he should be on antibiotics to prevent infection. But don't know if you can get antibiotics there without a vet. Amoxicillin or Enrofloxcin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Urgent

What specific area in Miami are you located?
I am from Costa Rica. I'm planning to take him to Zooave (a bird sanctuary) as quick as I can

If he was bitten by a predator, like a dog, he should be on antibiotics to prevent infection. But don't know if you can get antibiotics there without a vet. Amoxicillin or Enrofloxcin.

Today it didn't defecated or eated at all and I'm worried. Some moments ago seemed like it was trying to but he couldn't, so I checked him. Looks like its behind is obstructed by dry heces (or he is constipated), what should I do? How do I clean him without hurting him? I don't know what to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts