Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a fledgling pigeon tonight huddled next to my house. He tried to fly but couldn't get any height on it. He couldn't walk on one leg. He/she didn't even move when I picked him/her up. He almost seemed like he was in shock. I live in upper MN and the temp has been between mid 20's and mid 30's. I snuggled him for about half an hour to warm him up. I have him in a medium pet carrier, in my unheated, but sheltered, garage, with a hot water bottle under the carrier. He also has a towel he's sitting on and food and water. To add to that, the same thing happened to another pigeon who was a baby and is about 5 months old now. He/she, and a sibling, fell from a two story nest. I brought the sibling to a wild animal rehab place about 75 miles away. I nursed the other back to health and he is my pet, "Baby" (spoiled, to say the least). Baby cannot be out on his own as he cannot get height on his flight either and is very domesticated now. I don't know the sex of this new bird or how to find out. Long story short: my post is a hodgepodge of questions. Should I just let this new pigeon rest a few days where he is now? The veterinarian (who will treat my pigeon but is not an avian vet and says he knows a lot about pigeons) is not open until Saturday (and the nearest avian vet is 3-1/2 hrs. away). If this pigeon can be rehabilitated, can he be released back "out there" (the ravens watch for the young, vulnerable ones)? Can he/she eventually be put in with my pet pigeon as a mate? They both look to be about the same age. I don't want babies and I don't want one hurting the other. Do you think when the wild animal place released their 3 pigeons, mine came back and this new one is him? I want what's best for these harmless creatures. Soon, I'll be moving Baby into my sunroom or front porch. I want to park my car in my garage!!!!! Lol Thank you for any feedback.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Thank you very much for helping the little guy! Don't know if he was the bird you took to the animal place but he is clearly a lucky bird to have found you. Yes he probably could live with your other pigeon after he is fixed up. Would quarantine him from your other bird though until he is clearly well, for three weeks. How is he eating and pooping? Clearly warmth and protection from Ravens and other predators is crucial. Glad you have a vet who can help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts