Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems I've got a hurt pigeon now. I didn't find the bird myself, a friend rescued it because it can't seem to fly and was wandering into the road. With village cats and dogs, cars, and subzero temperatures at this time of year, she didn't think it would survive on it's own. It's not my first rescue, but it is my first pigeon. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Other than not being able to fly he/she looks very healthy, very alert and fiesty, although a little confused and scared of the situation. He/she eats and drinks readily, has healthy poops and has made it through the first night here.

Pics soon, I'm hoping I can get this guy back to full health soon so he can go on living his pigeony life!

EDIT: oh, this is a feral pigeon by the way, no band or anything. ^^

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I only got one picture in before my camera ran out of batteries. xD

You can't see it, but he/she hangs his right wing a little bit.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
He is a handsome bird and is lucky to fall into good hands.

He looks very heathy but as a precaution can you check the inside of his mouth for canker? (THis would show as cheesy growths.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very norther NY, Potsdam to be exact. I'm glad to have him though, the past couple days we've had dreadful cold, with mid day highs being 2 degrees fahrenheit not counting wind chill D:

And I checked his mouth, looks perfectly normal to me.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I'm glad he or she the pigeon is with you it does seem to me that the right wing might be out of socket from the shoulder or a small break in one of the small bones but beyond that it looks really good so keep feeding it and you really did save it--now it is time to figure if that wing is broken so bring it somewhere for a evaluation and to see what they suggest to help it mend propertly but by the look of it I think it is just out of socket and needs to be put by in and stablelized and gentle exercises later to get that muscle working to keep it in socket but there must be someone there you can take it to for an evaluation....Glad you took it and have it in such extreme weather--lucky bird..c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
That wing forward in the picture--would not that be his left wing --for it is hanging low 1/2 to his feet and is his right wing like that too? He hit something and maybe just needs a good rest but expert advice will put you at ease anyway...c.hert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts