Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a pigeon outside. It's wing looks really damaged. Unfournrltyy I had to corner it in order to get it off the street as magpies were crowdin it. That's when we decided hes been out there long enough :(. I have now safely secured in my metal shed. We've placed cardboard on the floor in the hope it stays on that for a bit more warmth but he looks pretty comfy in my shoes haha. I've also given a generous handful of bird seed and a small tub of water.

Ibe seen alot of posts that vets put them down so I've come to you in the hope that you can advice if it will recover.

We are unsure of what pigeon it is. It's not a wood or street which I assume leaves the option of rock or racing pigeon. I want to see if has a ring on him to identify if it's a racer, but I just want to let it rest. The poor heart when I was holding it after getting it :( really is sad.

UNITED KINGDOM
ENGLAND
EAST MIDLANDS
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
NOTTINGHAM

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Post a picture of the bird. If wing is broken, then probably will not fly well enough again to be able to fly free. A vet may be able to set it properly. He can't be kept in a dark shed without sun or ventilation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@jay3 the shed has ventilation. The doors don't close the all the way leaving a gap. To small for any animal to get through tho. And what if the vet want to put him down

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't exactly get a photo either. It's in a awkward postion in my shoe. I can say that the lower wing is dangling

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Then take him out of your shoe if you want the wing accessed. Rats can get in and so can other things that can harm him.

If you are on Facebook, I suggest you join the Pigeon Rescue group which is a network of rescuers and some rescue centres in the UK:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PigeonProtection/

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping. Please do get bird contained as it can do further damage if it it can walk around.

The wing needs to be supported as best as can be done. If you can bring the wing up as in a sling and get it supported as much as possible in the natural position without hurting it more, like the good wing, that will help. Are there any breaks/cuts/bleeding in broken wing?

Here is a UK rescue resource link, perhaps you can find one near you, as that wing needs to be tended too. http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/rescuecentres.htm

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He probably needs a vet to take care of the wing. Otherwise he could have a wing that he will always be tripping over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I will phone my vet in the morning. If they say they can do nothing except put hI'm down I'm not doing it. I will call the rescue in stead

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is there someone who can set the wing for you?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Our Phoebe had a dangling wing...the vet set it and she was not releasable but lived with us for eight wonderful years. Thank you for giving the hurt pigeon a chance at a new good life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts