Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i'm stupid and clueless.

Spotted an injured pigeon hobbling on the roadside, looked like it had a droopy wing, and came back about 15 minutes later with a box and towel. It hadn't moved since from when i'd left, despite close passing traffic. It's eyes were open but its pupils seemed very large.

When picking it up it did start to move, so I threw the towel over it to get it into the box. I haven't had a chance to really inspect it closely and i'm not sure I know what i'd be looking for either. From the brief glance I got at it while picking it up, it appeared it might have some blood on it's beak and at the base of its wing.

So far i've put a shallow dish with water in the box with it, but it seemed agitated enough by doing that that I daren't open the box again to take photos until I have more of an idea what I should be doing. I'm worried it'd injure itself further if it panics. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Still a baby and probably too young to eat by himself. Try to dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. You might have to do this a couple of times until he drinks.

You will need to handfeed him green defrosted peas. But one doesn't know if the beak is injured on the inside. First wait till he drinks, then it will be ok to feed him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, i'm stupid and clueless.

Spotted an injured pigeon hobbling on the roadside, looked like it had a droopy wing, and came back about 15 minutes later with a box and towel. It hadn't moved since from when i'd left, despite close passing traffic. It's eyes were open but its pupils seemed very large.

When picking it up it did start to move, so I threw the towel over it to get it into the box. I haven't had a chance to really inspect it closely and i'm not sure I know what i'd be looking for either. From the brief glance I got at it while picking it up, it appeared it might have some blood on it's beak and at the base of its wing.

So far i've put a shallow dish with water in the box with it, but it seemed agitated enough by doing that that I daren't open the box again to take photos until I have more of an idea what I should be doing. I'm worried it'd injure itself further if it panics. Any advice would be appreciated.
I need the pigeon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still a baby and probably too young to eat by himself. Try to dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. You might have to do this a couple of times until he drinks.

You will need to handfeed him green defrosted peas. But one doesn't know if the beak is injured on the inside. First wait till he drinks, then it will be ok to feed him.
Thanks very much for the reply and advice.

I spent the last few hours driving around asking at places and getting referred on till I found a vets with connections to rehab places to take it to. Still waiting for updates on their assessment but it might be out of my hands now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts