Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pigeon landed on my garden yesterday. Its neck is bent and one eye is injured. What to d ? It moves around a little bit but does not fly, tried feeding it some dog pellets and rice grains

Registered
Can you take him to the vet? It could have ear infection, head injury or PMV if I assume due to head tilt. What are his droppings look like? Can he eat on its own? It's better if you give him some grain/seed mixture like millet, corn, buckwheat, wheat, dari etc.
If can't fly please bring him inside or some other animal will attack him and kill him 馃檹

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you take him to the vet? It could have ear infection, head injury or PMV if I assume due to head tilt. What are his droppings look like? Can he eat on its own? It's better if you give him some grain/seed mixture like millet, corn, buckwheat, wheat, dari etc.
If can't fly please bring him inside or some other animal will attack him and kill him 馃檹
Alright I'll try to contact a local vet tomorrow. I think it ate some of the dog pellets, and its droppings are kinda greenish and looks like moss. Oh and I've already placed him inside a pet carrier.

Registered
Green droppings are not good sign, it could indicate liver problems or pigeon is starving. Can you feel food in his crop?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe it was starving as i don't know how to tell if its crop is empty :( . But I fed him some boiled corn just now.

Registered
You can also handfeed him defrosted green peas. An adult pigeon will need about 150 peas daily, divided into 3 meals of 50 each. This depends on how well the crop empties. Get him hydrated by dipping the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water.

He is sick. The vet will probably euthanize him, unless you say that he is your pet. One of my pigeons was exactly the same, also with a bent head like yours. A 21 day course of amoxycillin cured him.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, how is he ?
Still not eating on his own and i manually feed him about 150 pieces of corn a day, he is also still lethargic, and not having a vet near me that treats birds is also not helping. I've also notice some mucous like discharge on one of his eyes, but his droppings are solid now

Registered
Can you check inside his beak and back of the throat for yellow or white growths? The inside should be pink. Can you get antibiotics from a pharmacy in your country?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The inside of his beak has the same color with his tounge (light pink). And a local poultry supply shop has sold us some antibiotics to be taken for 7 days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts