Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The injured pigeon I've rescued is getting stronger. She stood up straight on her good leg yesterday and this morning. She can stretch and flap her wings but still has a patch of feathers missing on her wing. The injury on her back doesn't look as if it will ever regrow feathers.

I'm concerned her droppings are green, is this ok or is it a sign of something.

Will she be able to survive without her back feathers?

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
It will take a while for the feathers to regrow. You can add vitamins to her drinking water to give her a boost.

Is she eating well? Do you give regular apple cider vinegar in the drinking water?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Marina B. I've just started adding a drop of apple cider vinegar to her water. I only read about it yesterday. I've also given her water with drop of honey. Today is the first day I've been able to tell she has eaten an obvious amount of seeds and porridge oats from her dish. I've tried separate dish with soft boiled potato and a few peas. She's seems to have moved these around but not eaten anything. Also today is the first day there have been more normal looking droppings. Having an actual shape rather than being a wet splodge.
I really appreciate your help / advice and support.
I wondered whether I could put a smear of Vaseline on her toes. The ones she isn't using lie behind her and get covered in her droppings. I'm bathing them clean every morning but wondered if the Vaseline would help protect them a little? She was preening her 'good' toes earlier. It's the first time I've seen her preening. :)

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Preening is always a good sign. If she is eating seeds, then you can remove the peas and potatoes. No need for vaseline, unless there are mites on the legs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts