Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an injured pigeon three days back with light wounds on neck and feather. It was refusing to eat grain. Took it to a vet but he didn't do much(he treats dogs and cats), gave betadiene solution to apply on wounds and atibiotic tablets. the wounds have healed now but it is still not eating anything by itself, just drinking water on its own. I have been feeding it glucose solution through syringe. I have no knowledge about birds, it is getting weaker by the day. I fear it might die if it continues like this. Found this website and registered to post this.Please help

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

Where are you?

Do you have an idea if the pigeon is an adult or a very young one? That may indicate how to feed it.

Picture would be good.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Aeonsleo, thanks for trying to help this poor fellow and welcome to Pigeon Talk.

You are going to have to hand feed him to supplement him for a while to he starts to regain strength and wants to self feed again. You can do this by feeding some thawed and warmed frozen peas and corn (use frozen, not canned, as canned is too high in sodium) and you can also seeds, such as safflower seeds and raw, shelled sunflower hearts.

Wrap him in a towel and pop them in his mouth like in the video clip below, not too much to start maybe 10-15 pieces or peas/corn or 50 of either type of seeds. Wait for his crop to empty, 3-5 hours and do it again. Its not good give give a starved bird too much food too soon at once, but you can work up to 25 pieces or peas/corn and 100 seeds over the next 3-4 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

What were the antibiotic tablets, where are you located and can you post up a few photos of this bird and his fresh droppings?

Good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
These pre-written feeding instructions might be easier for you and also give you an idea of how much food the pigeon needs to receive.

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat.
You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the crop empties until you know the bird is eating on his own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
feeding sick pigeon

hi again,
Im from Pune, India. I think the bird is an adult have uploaded some pics of it.

Thanks for all the replies I ll try and feed it like you have mentioned.
Additionally I like to mention that the bird's poop is semi solid yellowish and a lot of dark green matter. Till yesterday it was able to stand on its feet but now it has become very weak and is not able to balance itself. The temperature here ranges from 28 degrees Centigrade to 16 degrees in the night. I wrap it up in a blanket piece during the night time.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Aeonsleo, you can feed both small brown lentils and split yellow peas, but you must make sure the bird is well hydrated with water to help it digest these two dried foods. You can also fee some very, very small pieces of naan bread as well for now, make sure he stays well hydrated. How much sugar are you adding to the water?.... too much is just as bad as too little when making an oral glucose solution.

You did not say what the antibiotic tablets were.

Karyn

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Aeonsleo,

Can you post some Images of the Pigeon himself?

Images of some fresh poops?

If he is young, shy, depressed, he will not ask or assert to be fed, and would not have experience self feeding yet.

Lets see what he looks like?

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to say that the pigeon died today morning, he was breathing heavily the entire night and was exhausted. Thank You for all your support. Hope my knowledge gained here would benefit some other fellow in need sometime.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found that I needed to have a heater on for my little feller at night when 10-15 degrees, as he was very cold most of the time. Not meaning to criticise or say anything bad, you did a wonderful thing, I was in the same boat with my little friend passing a few days after yours. I didn't realise myself for a while how much warmth these birds need, I spent hours taking to the animal hospital and he got so cold in a cat box with towels.. it was around 15-20 degrees celcius and he was so cold by the time I got back from the animal hospital. After that, I found that unless I left the heater on he would get cold and be cold to the touch.

It was very sad for me in my friends last days, the new apartment I moved into has free heating, but it is very unreliable and stopped working. I had thought it was on, but after a day noticed it wasn't, so he was very cold all this time, then another night he was cold before I realised to get the heater. This was not what caused him to pass at all, it was his injuries and the reason both you and I pick up these birds - because we are able to do it, they are usually very injured.

But I was glad that for the last day, I had noticed the broken heater and replaced with a small strip heater, so that he was at least warm for his final hours :(

I am still so devastated by the loss of my pigeon. I hope you are doing ok.

Many blessings upon you for your help and compassion and your time to share your story here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts