Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, yesterday evening I heard banging against my patio door and discovered blood all down it and an injured pigeon standing in the corner looking very injured. Im not sure if my cat was involved although he was looking rather guilty. Anyway, I left the pigeon where he was for a couple of hours but when it got dark decided the foxes would get him if I left him there and so put him in a cat basket and took him in. Put some water in for him and left him in a quiet room overnight not sure if he would make it as injuries looked bad.

This morning I took the basket out on my patio and opened it. He hopped out and walked to the corner again. He seems better and quite alert but has not flown. His neck looks injjured and his chest but i think his wings are ok. Worried my cats would reappear I have now put him back in the basket and bought him inside. I have asked friends if they have a small dog cage I can borrow.

So, some advice now would be great. I havent called the vets or oyr wildlife rescue centre as assume they wont be bothered with a pigeon. Am I doing the right thing by keeping him in for now or should I just let him out and what will be will be? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hi! Welcome to PT and thanks for helping him 😊!

Of course, you are doing well in keeping him 👍.

You need to treat his injuries (check well his whole body, he could have other wounds maybe hidden by feathers): you can rinse them with some saline solution (you know, like the one for contact lenses) then disinfect them with something like Betadine and apply an antibiotic cream twice a day (you can decide how many days according to the severity of the wounds). Pay attention to any bad smell: if you notice it, it means that the injury is becoming infected.
As maybe your cat was involved you have to give him even an oral antibiotic (cat saliva could be deadly).

If you are on Facebook here is a link to a pigeon protection group located in UK:

Maybe you could find someone located in your area able to help you somehow.

Is he eating and drinking on his own? You can show him water by dipping his beak (not over the nostrils) into a small bowl of water (if he does not understand at the first try, do that more than once). If you can get bird vitamins you can add them to his drinking water (as he lost a lot of blood he would need a vitamin supplement containing iron and even B-complex vitamins).
Leave always available even a bowl (or a plant pot saucer) filled with a pigeon/dove mixture (if you can't find it you can buy a mix for wild birds) and dried legumes (the ones for humans that you can buy at supermarket) like mung beans, small lentils (lentils are a good source of iron) and split peas.
You can understand if he is eating enough on his own by checking his poops (in the attached pic you can see a good poop). If he is not eating you need to hand feed him.

Keep us updated.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts