Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking for some advice please. I know nothing about Pigeons. Found a Feral Pigeon in my garden 2 weeks ago that didn't fly away with its flock. Noticed that it was hanging around on the floor and has a droopy wing. The pigeon was eating and drinking ok. As I approached, it ran away and then attempted flight. It flew but very badly, made it to the fence. It's right wing seemed very injured. After about 2 hours of sitting on the fence it attempted to fly up onto a low roof and then eventually onto the high roof. It took the Pigeon about 5 hours to get onto the high roof in total. I noticed the pigeon again 3 days later, same pattern, comes down for food every 3 days (I assume because its starving) then takes about 5 hours and flys badly to get back onto the roof where it stays for 3 days and doesn't move. This has been going on for 2 weeks now. It walks fine, seems bright, energetic except for the wing. I'm guessing that each time it fly's it re-injures the wing and is only getting down when it is starving. As this has been going on for 2 weeks now with no improvement I decided to catch it today to see if I could help. I got a large cage from a friend , caught the Pigeon and inspected it. I noticed it had what seems like a hard boil, lump on what I will call its shoulder outside part of the right wing. I could also feel some swelling under the wing opposite the lump. I've taken some pictures of the Pigeon and the boil / lump on the outside of the wing. She is eating and drinking ok and is safe inside now in a large cage away from cats etc. I've also cleaned the boil (which looks very sore) with a antimicrobial called Vetericyn and put a small amount of Germolene (Neosporin) on the lump and underneath the wing where it feels swollen. Today is the first day she has had any treatment. I wondered if anyone could advise what I should do please. I noticed somebody mentioned on another thread something about suspected paratyphoid for a similer sounding lump and that antibiotics called Ciprofloxacin would be worth trying. Could anyone advise please, if it sounds like paratyphoid , where I can get some Ciprofloxacin if that is recommended (in the UK) and any other advice please would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
You won't be able to get antibiotics from a pharmacy in your country unfortunately. Any chance you can take her to an avian vet to confirm paratyphoid and get the necessary meds? Please tell them this is your pet that needs treatment, otherwise the vet might euthanize. Then you can treat her at home till she has recovered. Keep us updated plse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thankyou for your replies. I've managed to find an Avian Vet quite local to where I live so I have her booked in for a Consultation on Thursday morning, I have my fingers crossed they will be able to help her. I also have an offer from a rehab organisation who have kindly said that they will give her permanent sanctuary if the wing is permanently damaged so I will not let the vet or anyone euthanize her. If the Vet cannot help I will take her to the sanctuary where she will be safe. Other than the lump, she seems happy, healthy and strong, She is eating and drinking and all seems good. Thanks for your help and advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quick update, I took Pigeon to see a very very kind avian Vet today. The Vet said that she likely had Salmonella but that she was a good weight and looked in very nice condition otherwise. She offered to do an X-Ray of her her wing but told me that there is a small chance this could kill her because of the anesthetic. So I said no to the the X-Ray for now and to see how she goes on the prescribed antibiotics. She has given me some anti-boitics (Baytril for 2 weeks and also 1 week of pain medicine). When I returned home I put her in a cage outside today and all her pigeon friends came to see her. She seemed very happy about this. I was also happy, because her flock abandoned her for 2 weeks and now they are back and all want to be her friend again haha, probably only because they see she had food and water in her cage but I will update again in 2 weeks when we will do some test flights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, I'm not sure if I am expecting to see results too early but I am a little concerned as I have been giving her Baytril now (0.15) ml orally with a little injector device the vet gave me, straight to mouth twice a day for the past 5 days now but I'm not seeing any reduction in size of the lump and her wing is still droopy. The lump does seem to be changing colour ever so slightly to a more creamy white colour but wondered if seeing not much change is normal after 5 days? Should I expect to see more change at this stage?. The Vet prescribed 14 days treatment. When I feel under her wing I've noticed that her shoulder seems quite swollen too still. I'm wondering if I should be giving her any other medication in conjunction at the moment such as a topical solution that I can put on the boil directly or if I should just be patient and wait out the 14 days? She seems calm, happy and poos are solid (dark green and white). As always thankyou for any advice offered, its greatly appreciated, I am a complete novice at this so any tips or suggestions or thoughts on the above would be most appreciated. Thankyou

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Continue with the meds. Treatment for salmonella is usually 21 days (from what I've read). Hopefully 2 weeks of meds will sort out the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts