Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have found a pigeon clipped by a car earlier today. He cannot fly, but seems alert. I cannot see any visible signs of injury. I have him secured in an aviary and have placed an electrolyte solution (salt/ sugar dissolved in warm water) close to him on the floor. He has pecked at the ground, but not taken any fluid yet. Should I attempt to drip feed him? I have wild bird seed, but have read I need to wait until he had rehydrated. It is a warm day, so I haven't put him on a heat pad. Is there anything else I should do? Any advice is welcome. I live in Norwich, Norfolk, UK.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You could try placing his beak in the water bowl to see if he'll drink, watch out for his nostrils though. A drip on the outside of his beak would be okay but not inside in case he aspirates. I think warmth is good for birds that may be in shock so a warm water bottle wrapped in a towel at night would be a good idea because this summer is awful so far - it actually smelt like a November morning early today.
There's a group on Facebook - Pigeon Rescue and Protection UK - you should join if possible, they have members all over the uk who can advise.
Thanks for taking him in and I hope he recovers well. Please keep us posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts